RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS Backup

c0op3r

Well I am not sure that is the correct category for this topic, so feel free to move it if its not.

I did some upgrades to my girlfriends computer yesterday, that is on my network, it has been backed up regularly by WHS, I installed some new hardware HD, Motherboard, Processor) and went to do a restore from the backup, its a no-go as WHS does not do a full backup, only your files and some other stuff(I am not sure what all it does).

So I ended up re-installing the whole OS, and putting back on the software manually(luckily she does not have a lot of apps)[but god help me if I loose those saved games], and using the backup for the Documents, Photos etc. In my view this is crap, I could easily setup XCOPY to handle coping those files/folders each night and it would take up a lot less space each night, hell I could set it up to do it as a mirror.

So my point of this story is that I have since used the "CREATE SYSTEM IMAGE" function of Windows 7 and saved those images on the WHS for each machine that is in my network, I will continue to let the backup software run, as it does create back-ups of my personal files, but for a restore its pretty useless.

So if you are someone like me that is always doing upgrades or just breaks boxes on a regular bases you might want to consider making a system image also. I would be interested in hearing what others are doing to have a complete back-up solution???

Guest no-control

Some thing isn't right here. I've done full system upgrades and have been able to restore WHS backups to the hardware. The WHS backups are full system images. Is it possible that the backup is corrupt or incomplete?

Was the HDD formatted correctly before the install? I always make sure I have a clean NTFS volume available for the backup to land on.

ZeroHunter,

I agree something is wrong here. Either you did/didn’t do something because I have restored countless times in the year and half I’ve had WHS.

Can you provide more details like any error messages, what OS you were trying to restore ect? I’ll be the first to admit that sometimes the restore does happen or work as smooth as it should and takes a few “tricks” to make it work. But I’ve never had it not get the job done in the end.

If you can provide as much detail to the above questions I’m sure we will be able to figure out what went wrong and most importantly figure how to avoid it when you need WHS to work next time.

fasthair

I have definitely restored full backups from the WHS utilising the CD and USB with drivers from the WHS. Saved my bacon for sure.

I have definitely restored full backups from the WHS utilising the CD and USB with drivers from the WHS. Saved my bacon for sure.

The only issue discussed is changing hardware platforms. Intel to intel, AMD to AMD. Otherwise a reinstall is needed anyway.

I'm not clear on the following:

...went to do a restore from the backup, its a no-go as WHS does not do a full backup, only your files and some other stuff(I am not sure what all it does).

Can you break that down for me?

1. You started the actual restore, right?

2. It actually began the process of copying files from the server?

3. Sometime during the process, it failed?

4. "...it's a no-go as WHS does not do a full backup?" Meaning WHS did not finish the restore process?

5. "only your files and some other stuff" - If you're asking what a PC backup is, it is everything on the partition(s) you're backing up. Basically, an image of the partition, not just document and media files.

At the very least, WHS should have completed the restore. Whether you'd be able to boot afterward is another story as the hardware changes you effected are significant. In all likelihood, XP will fail to boot with a change like that. There are workarounds, but initially it will fail. Windows 7 may be able to repair itself. You stand a decent chance of success if you're running Win 7.

I'm not clear on the following:

...went to do a restore from the backup, its a no-go as WHS does not do a full backup, only your files and some other stuff(I am not sure what all it does).

Can you break that down for me?

1. You started the actual restore, right?

-I did, but I am beginning to think that I most likely did something wrong.

-No, when I pointed it to the back-up, it said it could no find it, and when I reinstalled the OS from my USB Drive (Win7 Ultimate, the same thing that was on the drive/machine before), it uncompressed the back-up file and then showed me the folders, and told me to copy the files/folders to the machine. I will see if I can get a screen shot of this tomorrow.

3. Sometime during the process, it failed?

-No, it never started like a normal restore-image does from images I have created before having a WHS, I used to just make images to external HDs

4. "...it's a no-go as WHS does not do a full backup?" Meaning WHS did not finish the restore process?

-No WHS did not finish or even close, I was able to extract the Documents, Pictures etc from the back-up on the WHS but that was it, I re-installed the OS and Programs manually.

5. "only your files and some other stuff" - If you're asking what a PC backup is, it is everything on the partition(s) you're backing up. Basically, an image of the partition, not just document and media files.

-Right, that is what I have created on my own now, by using Win7's Create System Image option in the control panel under Back-up & Restore, I have now created a folder on the WHS, that I save those files to for each machine on the network.

At the very least, WHS should have completed the restore. Whether you'd be able to boot afterward is another story as the hardware changes you effected are significant. In all likelihood, XP will fail to boot with a change like that. There are workarounds, but initially it will fail. Windows 7 may be able to repair itself. You stand a decent chance of success if you're running Win 7.

-Not using XP, its a 10 year old OS, using Win7 on every machine in the network (some 32bit some 64bit) except for my FreeNAS box, and my School Laptop which Dual boots Win7 & Kubuntu. I understood about the hardware changes I was prepared to deal with that, but it became a moot point once I was not able to do a full restore. Its not that big a deal, as I got the Files and folders that I would not of been able to recreate, and the Hardware Issue was solved by the re-install.

-No, when I pointed it to the back-up, it said it could no find it, and when I reinstalled the OS from my USB Drive (Win7 Ultimate, the same thing that was on the drive/machine before), it uncompressed the back-up file and then showed me the folders, and told me to copy the files/folders to the machine. I will see if I can get a screen shot of this tomorrow.

Just trying to get a feel for what's going on, AFAIK, WHS does not create backup files. What file is this which is being uncompressed, and was this happening during the Win7 installation or some other process?

Another thing, did you get to the point where you select a machine to restore and then select a backup?

Edited by roddy

-No, when I pointed it to the back-up, it said it could no find it,

I would give the WHS Restore another try.

I do recall on some restores I did in the past, that when using the PC Restore Disc, I pointed to the WHS to finf the backup for the PC I was restoring, it did not list the PC. This was because I changed the hard drive in the PC and WHS did not recognise the PC because there was different hardware. But there was a pull down menu and I found the PC listed there. All went well after that.

So retry the PC Restore CD and see if you can see the pull down menu. Worst case scenario you can just quit at that point and no changes will be made to the PC.

If you refer to this restore process, I'm talking about image 4

http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/11/17/how-to-restore-a-client-computer-without-using-the-client-restore-disk/