RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New eSATA card or P222 to work with Sans Digital 8 Bay SATA Enclosure

mav

Hello All,

I'm quite new to the server scene and am not very technical when it comes to server related topics, so please excuse me if my questions (and/or system setup) seem quite silly.

My current setup is a HP Gen 8 Microserver, with 4x4TB WD Reds and a Samsung SSD.  I rearranged the wiring so the SSD boots up from port 1, and one of the WD Reds boots from the ODD.  All of the drives are running JBOD in AHCI mode with stablebit drivepool.  This is very stable and worked very well for my needs.

A few months ago, I figured I would eventually need more space, so I purchased a Sans Digital 8 Bay SATA enclosure (ST-SAN-TR8M6G) and it came with a Rocketraid 642L controller card.  I then added in another 2x4tb WD Reds and added it to the drivepool.  This setup also worked well for 3 months or so.  Recently, I started getting errors with the controller dropping in and out causing the server to crash constantly (reading the feedback on the card, it seems to be quite common).  It has been quite frustrating to say the least and I'm at the point where I want to invest in a good controller.

That's where the P222 comes along.  From what I read, the P222 doesn't support JBOD, so I'll need to setup the drives as RAID 0 (which is fine by me).  This new proposed setup begs a few questions:

• Am I able to run the P222 drives as RAID 0 concurrently with the drives in the Gen 8 in AHCI mode?  Or do they all need to be in RAID 0? 
  • In regards to connecting the controller to the enclosure, on Amazon, there's a SAS to esata cable, where 1 mini sas cable is split into 4 esata cables. Would plugging in 2 (of the 4) esata cables into the 8 bay enclosure from the 1 external p222 sas port work?  Or will I also need to use the internal sas port and route it outside? Or is this whole thing not even possible or foolish even?

Any feedback would be most appreciated.  Thank you.

On the RAID0 issue, you can set up each drive as its own single-drive RAID0. As I understand it, this is how you achieve JBOD on a P222.

Hi Schoondoggy,

Thanks for your response.  I'm wondering if I need to make all the drives RAID 0 or if I can have 4 of my drives that are in the Gen 8 stay in AHCI mode, while having the other drives in the enclosure be in RAID 0.  The reason why I want to keep it that way is because all my drives that are in AHCI mode (in the Gen 8) have data on it and I have no way of backing up the data yet and changing the mode from AHCI to RAID 0.

Physically, my setup would be like yours, except my external enclosure has 2 esata ports.

I think you will have an issue with the cable.

I went with the SAS enclosure so I could go miniSAS to miniSAS. All the miniSAS to eSATA cables I have seen break out to four individual single drive eSATA connections.

Thank you schoondoggy.  That's what I was afraid of.  I either have to buy a new enclosure to go with the p222 or buy a different controller to go with my existing enclosure.

Thanks schoondoggy, I don't mind at all, please edit as you see fit.  I can confirm I am using the latest drivers and firmware, but yea, I may have to resort to a eSATA card.  Thank you for all your help.