RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
hallamnet

Hybrid SSD in GEN 8 running VMWare ESXi

yodafett

If you are not going to raid the drives you would be better off with a WD Black or Velaciraptor. Another option world be for additional speed would be a true SSD for the VM boot drive (a 240 should hold about 5-6 VM boot drives) with a WD Black or red for any data held on the VM (say media for a plex server.

hallamnet

Thanks for the reply yodafett. I would be looking to have 4 VM's running with a footprint of about 100GB each and one VHD around 250GB for storing ISO's, WDS images and updates. ESXi currently runs from a USB stick but going to look to get it on an SSD running from the optical sata port just because I can:) I have a Synology DS412+ for media storage.

Currently have 4 1TB drives in a raid to give me as much space as possible but all odd and old drives while I get my setup up and running.

SSD would be my first option in a raid but did see the hybrid drives and thought it might be a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ikon

I'm not sure why you would want to RAID SSDs. Is it to get more total space? Is it for speed?

schoondoggy

I'm not sure why you would want to RAID SSDs. Is it to get more total space? Is it for speed?

Yes and yes.

ikon

I think the increased storage is a fair argument. I don't think there will be any significant increase in speed because I suspect the SATA port limitations will prevent it.

hallamnet

Yes and yes.

What schoondoggy said.

Combine 4 SSD's together to turn all 4 drives in to 1 logical volume. As this will be spanned over numerous drives, this should perform quicker as far as i know. 

ikon

I look forward to reading about your results. As I said, I wonder if there will be any significant increase in throughput because you will be limited by the SATA II ports.

Al_Borges

Maximum PC tested two SSD's in RAID 0  versus a single SSD  back a few months  Here is the link to their February Posting  " PC Performance Testing" 

http://shar.es/1n8v10.

They saw only about 20 % improvement in throughput  - -  but also noticed some slowdown in the  PC mark benchmark program.

The main problem is whether the "trim" ( garbage collection) commands  can be passed along thru the raid controller.   

This is a sort of hit or miss depending on the SSD Controller and OS  but extremely important for good performance on SSD's 

ikon

That's interesting Al_Borges. I hadn't considered the TRIM aspect.