RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

best software for server back up

theunknown

Can I just tack onto this thread and ask what the best way of backing up the client computer backups is?  Of course I can just take a copy of all the files in the folder but what else do I need?  Basically I want to be able to bare metal recover the server and the client backup database in the event of a disaster so I can then access the client backups.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Vertigo

• theunknown

• jmwills

Vertigo, I copy the entire Computer Backups folder (which is located in my data pool) to my NearLine and OffSite backups. If I lost my data pool, I would simply rebuild it and copy the data (including the Computer Backups folder) to it from one of the backups.

You mean the "Client Computer Backups" folder?  Yeah that's the one I'm currently copying to an external drive periodically and keeping offsite but I'm just wondering what else I need.  If I lost my entire server and needed to rebuild it from scratch and reinstall the WHS2011 OS, then reconnected each client computer to it, would I be able to simply copy the contents of that folder back into place?

Something tells me this wouldn't work as it wouldn't recognise the client machines as the same ones in the previous installation to which the backup files relate, if that makes sense?

My OS is actually a virtual machine so I could just take a backup of that periodically too if that's the easiest way.

If it's a VM, just back up the entire file. Be sure to keep incremental copies, so you can go back to a version from weeks or months ago.

Well only the OS drive itself is the VM.  The data drives are all passed through to the VM by the host OS so aren't part of the VM.  Thinking if I backup the VM itself for the OS then the data from the other drives I should be able to reconstitute the server from scratch if the worst happens?

If you back up the VM file, using the host OS, you should be able to restore the VM any time you want, and it should still have all the links to the data drives as well.

Well the data drives wouldn't necessarily be there, that's the thing.

Imagine I lose the whole server and have to build afresh.  I can restore the VM backup easily and get the OS up and running again no problem but I'd be using new replacement data drives.  The basic question is, could I reconfigure the server to use the new drives, so it creates the folders again on those drives, then copy my backup of the old Client Computer Backups folder into the newly created one on the new drives, and the server would then pick this up and "see" the backups for each client so I could restore data to them?

Well the data drives aren't backed up in their entirety, that's the thing, just selected folders as firstly I don't have enough space to back them all up and secondly it's not the end of the world if some of it goes bye bye :)

Only you can determine what is vital to back up and what isn't of course. That said, I would look into setting up a more robust backup strategy, perhaps getting some more external backup drives.

Do you back up critical data to an online location?

Also, with the advent of 8 and 10 TB drives on the horizon, you may be able to reconsider backing up your entire data pool.

To be safe, you should have at least 3 copies of all vital data, with at least 1 of them located off site.