RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
mailman1988

Problems reported with win 8 & Rt Patches

mailman1988

"Microsoft yanks botched Black Tuesday patches KB 2982791, KB 2970228, KB 2975719, and KB 2975331

Microsoft recommends that users uninstall last week's update -- even if their machines are working fine

Read about it at Infoworld.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/microsoft-yanks-botched-black-tuesday-patches-kb-2982791-kb-2970228-kb-2975719-and-kb-2975331-248582#disqus_thread

"

jmwills

I think it is safe to say this is not universal as I have not seen this behavior with any patch from last week.

Do all of us a favor and turn off Automatic Updates, OK?  Here's a better idea Microsoft......test your crappy work before pushing it out.

ikon

I think it is safe to say this is not universal as I have not seen this behavior with any patch from last week.

Do all of us a favor and turn off Automatic Updates, OK?  Here's a better idea Microsoft......test your crappy work before pushing it out.

I agree. I only had 1 of the updates installed on my Win8.1 desktop. I uninstalled it just to be safe. However, unfortunately, it seems every company has issues with updates from time to time, so I follow a rigid policy of not allowing automatic updates of any software. I get notified of updates. I then wait a little while for just such notices as this one to appear. If they don't I install the updates.

Technogod

Thanks for the info mailman1988.

Drashna Jaelre

I completely disagree here.

I know that Microsoft does extensive testing. However, while it's not impossible, it's incredibly impractical to test every combination of hardware out there. let alone every combination of software/drivers for each unique hardware configuration. 

Saying that Microsoft should test the updates is .... juvenile.

And as for pulling the updates.... I think they're handling that well. Pull ALL the affected updates, JUST IN CASE. Even if they have absolutely no issue, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Also, this is why big companies have WSUS, and stagger the updates. Install the updates onto the test/template machines (aka replica's of what is "out in the wild" in their company), and then once they have a clean bill of health, push them out to the rest of the company. 

Also, considering it's been a long while since Microsoft has pushed out a really bad update like this... I think that speaks volumes for their quality control team. And yes, things do slip through every once in a while.

jmwills

Extensive testing?  Do some research on SP1 for SharePoint 2013 and what a complete debacle that was while just a month earlier one patch completely broke Office Web Apps server.  Microsoft needs to tighten up their testing protocols, period.

ikon

I share both points of view. I know MS does a lot of regression testing on updates. However, I believe that it actually is impossible to test every combination - there are just too many possible permutations.

I also agree about corporate pre-testing, whether done by WSUS of other means. It is normally very possible for a corporation to test every hardware & software combination. Most corporations standardize a lot on their hardware & software, so the number of permutations is actually quite small. They can test updates on all of them in a test lab. In fact, I was responsible for setting up just such a test lab in my company. It works very well and we've never had a major issue crop up because of a 'bad' update. As old hardware is phased out of the company, the lab is updated with new hardware coming in.

I also agree that MS has screwed up - maybe not often - but they have, and some of those screwups have caused serious damage. As I stated earlier, it's why I have my updates set to 'notify only' and then I do the actual updates once a little time has passed and no serious red flags have been raised.

• Like 1

jmwills

I can agree with most of what you said but the debacles I referred to had nothing to do with hardware.  This was 100% software and yes we do run separate Development and Production farms but to have to go back and explain to a Config Control board that you are NOT upgrading because of bad patches causes a lot of headaches.

Microsoft's big problem, as least to me, is they seem to test against the latest OS images and not patched versions like the real world does.

ikon

Sounds like your collective Config Control Board membership needs to get its collective heads of its collective butts. Perhaps a phrase like, "Welcome to the real world" would be appropriate.

jmwills

I'll let you know how that comes out.