RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

IIS Question

mehtaman

There is probably a simple answer to this but I cannot work it out...

So, if I go to my "domain-name.co.uk" it automatically forwards me onto my remote access page.

Where in IIS Manager can I change the default site to point to a different index.html/default.aspx file?

I want users to specifically got to "remote.domain-name.co.uk" if they require remote access and general domain visits to go to a different site.

Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance.

You would have to create the new site and change the bindings from the default site over to the new one.  Someone else tried this a few months ago and honked everything really bad because of the customization installed by Microsoft.

Yea, the default site gets 80, 443, 65510, & 65515 bound to it first.  Depending on your router you might could also use 443 and bind it to the new site and leave the defaults alone.  This may require something like a TMG server in the DMZ in order to work.

I seem to have it working...

I setup a new site, pointed it to my website folder path.

Set the binding to port 80 only.

Left the default site as it is (also had a port 80 binding), going to the remote sub-domain still works and logs me in without an issue.

Yes you can do it but it takes some high level math, i.e. pointing it to a load balanced IP address.  AFAIK, if you use separate DNS entries to the same external address, once the firewall is accessed, IIS knows where to forward the request.  But to your point, a simple SOHO router may not be able to handle this type of request.