RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote desktop computer address

generic

This is certainly a simple question and I apologize up front, but, windows server 2012 essentials, anywhere access is working fine.  I connect using a windows 8.1 computer off site.  I can see my home computers, all of which I've skipped domain participation staying with workgroup. And when I try to remote access one I get the logon box but cannot for the life of me figure out the correct syntax for the user ID.  I can connect to the server dashboard without a problem using server domain/user ID but what do I use on the various PC's on workgroup.  Help!

:unsure:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• revengineer

• generic

You need to fill in two credentials boxes in a row. The first one is for the remote desktop gateway access where you need to use the server domain backslash server username as the login. The second box is for the local login. Here you use pc name backslash local username as the login.

You need to fill in two credentials boxes in a row. The first one is for the remote desktop gateway access where you need to use the server domain backslash server username as the login. The second box is for the local login. Here you use pc name backslash local username as the login.

Revengineer, you nailed it!

Now question two.  I was able to logon to one of my Win 8.1 computers but one returned "Remote desktop can't find the computer XXXX.  This might mean that XXXX does not belong to the specified network.  Verify the computer name and domain that your are trying to connect to."

The computer in question is definitely a part of the same network and of the workgroup workgroup.  Now what oh genie of knowledge?

It sounds like DNS is not registering the Client.  You need to put a secondary DNS entry in the NIC settings or Host file.

Is it asleep?

It sounds like DNS is not registering the Client.  You need to put a secondary DNS entry in the NIC settings or Host file.

Is it asleep?

It's not asleep.

"DNS is not registering the client"  I currently have an ASUS RT-AC56U wireless router handling DNS resolution for the workgroup network with the clients set to automatically obtain their DNS names.  Which NIC are you describing to specify a DNS entry and which DNS entry do you suggest?

Is the server also running DHCP and DNS roles?

I tried in setting Essentials 2012 up to keep it as simple as possible.  MIgrated from WHS and wanted similar functions.  Have been very pleased but have found over time that I should have just accepted a "domain kind of life".  As such have stayed away from roles and now find DNS role active.   DHCP is "not installed".

Run this commmand from the server to insure DHCP and DNS are coming form the router:

From a command prompt:  ipconfig /all

You should see the Gateway and DNS as your router's IP address.

Then run the same command from the client you cannot connect to and let's compare the two.  You don't by chance have HomeGroups running on the clients, do you?