RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ideas for setting up new server at home for work and play

infotime

Call me crazy, but I want to experiment with virtualization a bit.  I do have an actual need to fire up some of the other operating systems to test things that might be happening at client sites that have some of those OSs like Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 Essentials and the Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2.  

I just ordered 16GB of RAM :D

Edited by infotime

One thought I've had for a while but haven't tested yet is to use a private virtual network adapter (or whatever they call it, one that isn't tied to a physical adapter and only the VM's can use it) and set up one VM to run some router software and give it access to both the physical adapter and the private adapter.  The idea effectively being to create an internal network for testing that is just on the VM server.  Another thought is to make some sense of VLANs and set up a my testing network on a separate VLAN so that I can still access it from other devices as I desire.  I haven't actually gotten around to trying either one though, my last attempt at putting pfSense on Hyper-V didn't really work out from what I can remember.

AFAIK, the hotfix only addresses the ability for WHS2011 to back up and restore UEFI/GPT Client Computers. If you're thinking it changes things so that Windows Server Backup can back up more than 2TB locally on the server, it does not.

Again, AFAIK, WHS2011 has always been able to see GPT disks locally. All I've ever had to do was go into Disk Manager and ensure the drive is set up as GPT instead of MBR.

• 2 weeks later...

Small Business Sever might not play nicely with those other two DC's on the network.

In fact, it won't. Considering that he's talking about Small Business Server 2011 Essentials... which is basically Server 2012 Essentials' DIRECT predecessor... It needs to be the primary domain controller, unless it's entered into migration mode.

AFAIK, the hotfix only addresses the ability for WHS2011 to back up and restore UEFI/GPT Client Computers. If you're thinking it changes things so that Windows Server Backup can back up more than 2TB locally on the server, it does not.

Again, AFAIK, WHS2011 has always been able to see GPT disks locally. All I've ever had to do was go into Disk Manager and ensure the drive is set up as GPT instead of MBR.

This, Even WHSv1 supported GPT disks... but it force formated all disks being added to the pool to be MBR (so stupid)

Maybe I'm not getting it, but I am using Drive Bender and simply added a 4T to my Pool without any issues.

I've been running it for about a month without any errors or problems.

(running whs 2011 on a TS140, no vm).