RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network Load Balancing

Guest techyguyni

Guest techyguyni

Hi Guys 

I am in the middle of setting up to servers, both servers running IIS, I understand how to setup network load balancing but something has come to mind that I need explaining!!

Firstly I have 2 Network Cards, one for each server, Each network card has or will have a static IP, The problem I face is the following:and maybe a simple explanation will solve this mystery.

How do I forward port 80 and 443 on my ISP Router to a Virtual ip the both servers see in the cluster? its virtual and iam assuming the router wont see it as its not given the ip out via its dhcp (dhcp is running on my router not on any of my servers.

This has me baffled !!!!

Thanks

Edited by techyguyni

1. I assume you mean the NIC is virtual, not the IP.

2. can you ping the IP of the virtual NIC from another PC on the network? If so, then it's visible on the network ---> this is good ;)

3. if the IP address of the virtual NIC is in the same Scope (i.e. the same subnet) as your other PCs on the LAN, then the router should see it just fine. The router does NOT need to have issued the IP in order see it or send packets to it. You don't even have to have DHCP enabled on your router.

Guest techyguyni

Ok I understand that part thank you for your input but how do i port forward in the routers firewall to an ip address that it hasnt issued?

thanks again

You do it the same as you would for any other IP. Every router has a slightly different way to do its Port Forwarding, so I can't give specific instructions, but all you do is enter the Port Forwarding section of your router and then set up an entry as you would any other. In the box where you enter the IP of the destination computer, just enter the IP of the Virtual NIC.

Guest techyguyni

ahhh ok, well ill give that ago, its getting rather late and i need rest.....goto work and work....come home to work !!!!! 

thanks again

Guest techyguyni

hi, no I don't have a hardware load balancer, didn't actually know you could get one until recently, load balancing is new to me.

would it be a better idea to implement a hardware load balancer?

also and a little of the current topic can anyone recommend a ups that have a web interface, I would like to monitor a ups on my network this way? I haven't got one yet but iam on the market for one!!!

many thanks

• 3 years later...