RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best Way To Add A EX495 MSS To My Network

Mike

Hey guys! I've been listening to the podcast for about two months now, and find it very informative. Here is my situation. I want to attach my new ex495 mss to my network, but router is located in another room. I want to locate the MSS in my office, but the router is located in the master bedroom where the DSL connection is. I don't have a phone jack in the office, so I can't relocate the DSL modem and router. My question is what is the best way to "bridge" the connection to the router. I'm thinking about using powerline adapters to connect the MSS to my network. Will this provide sufficient bandwidth? Thanks for your help.

/Mike Biel

You could try a wireless network bridge, might be cheaper. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

You will have to see if your current wireless router support this, then buy a 2nd router to have by the MSS that would talk to the 1st. This way, the MSS and your PC can use this wired connection. You will now have 4 network connection available. I believe the powerline adapters only gives you 1 connection.

I use the DLink bridge to the DLink router. DAP-1522 to DIR-855 It works well. I'm not sure what the best powerline gear is but you could put the WAN link on the powerline to the DSL modem and have the PC and WHS on the router's LAN switch. If you absolutely cannot run a cable then one of these two solutions(powerline or bridge) will work. Check back with us on your progress.

Dave

Hey! Thanks diehard and Dave for your replies. You both have been very helpful. I have a DIR-655 router and after thinking it over for a couple days, I'm going to do what you suggested Dave, and get a DAP-1522 bridge. It's going to be a few days or so before I can get a 1522 bridge, but as soon as I get things setup and working, I'll post back and let you all know how it's working. Thanks again.

/Mike Biel

I am fortunate in that the house I purchased earlier this year was prewired with ethernet. A cheap DLink switch later and I am in business. The only problem is the awful AT&T DSL. Changing over to Charter, hopefully they have improved their cable internet offerings.