RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Updates back?

WHS_Refugee

OK, well, to be honest, a broken Photo Webshare app is a far cry from "my server stopped working".

I suspect quite strongly that your Photo Webshare app requires Java to work properly. Many web applications require Java. I'm sure this is why WHS_Refugee said, "Unless you have some reason to run Java on the server, uninstall it.", meaning, you do have some reason.

Is this the Photo Webshare app that came with the HP MediaSmart servers?

Yep I agree.  I should've said that my server stopped working PROPERLY.  Again, apologies for the confusion.

Yes, it is the Photo Webshare app that came with the HP MediaSmart (EX475 in my case).   At the time, that was one of the primary functions of my server---to share photos with friends/family all over the world so it was a critical task for me that was "broken" when I removed Java. 

Since that time, I've been wary about touching Java.   Now there is a prompt asking me to upgrade.  So I don't know whether I'm better off trying to remove it in a way that doesn't affect the Photo Webshare, leaving it as is, or just upgrading it with the hopes that everything still works and that my server is more secure with a newer version.

Thanks again for all of your help.  As you can tell, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about these things...

I'd be VERY leery about NOT updating Java.  It's not Java but the outdated app that ran on old Java code which has since been updated.

I would certainly look at upgrading the Java, but I would ensure I had a good backup of the system, just in case.

I seriously doubt it is even possible to uninstall Java in a way that would leave your photo sharing app in a functional state. If my guessing is on point, Java is an integral part of the app and cannot be removed.

Actually, IIRC, the photoshare app (and a lot of the HP fluff) SPECIFICALLY depends on Java, and even uses Jetty (a java server).

Well, it's decent ... nope, I can't even bring myself to say it....

It's a well known, well developed platform. So it definitely works. But I wouldn't call it good...