RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Updates back?

WHS_Refugee

I'm winding down my WHS v1 box, since my 2012 R2 Essentials box has been up and running for a couple of months now.  I shut down the WHS box on Sunday, thinking I would decommission it this weekend, pull the drives and DBAN them, etc.  But, I had forgotten that the BIOS on the box was set to auto power on the system, and I noticed it was running again tonight.  I decided to RDP in and just poke around for old time's sake, and delete the last two computer accounts on it.

Anyway, after connecting to the box, I noticed the Windows Update icon in the system tray, clicked on it, and found five updates ready to install.  I hadn't seen the thing get any patches in a looooong time, and I remember reading on the MS software lifecycle site that WHS mainstream support ended last year (01/08/13).  Has MS done an about face, like they did by releasing the one patch for XP back in May, after extended support ended April 8th?  Could it be because WHS v1 is a part of the Windows Server 2003 family?  Server 2003 goes end of support July 14, 2015.

Here's the MS lifecycle pages:

Windows Home Server:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=12624

Windows Server (incl. 2003):

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/default.aspx?LN=en-us&x=14&y=10&c2=1163

Speaking of updates.   There is an icon in my system tray of my WHS v1 asking me to update Java.   Is this necessary/advised? 

Speaking of updates.   There is an icon in my system tray of my WHS v1 asking me to update Java.   Is this necessary/advised? 

Unless you have some reason to run Java on the server, uninstall it.  It's too much of an exploit target.

I was wrong about the patches - it's just that I hadn't seen a system tray notification for patches in a long time.  I started looking at the update history, and it's been getting patches every month since I built it in November, 2008.  I expect that WHS v1 will stop getting patches when 2003 goes end of support next July.  I'm the owner of two 2003 servers at work, and I'm moving their functions to 2008 R2 virtual servers by the end of this year, as part of an official 2003 sunset process at work.

The reason I finally decided to get off of WHS was that the backup function started flaking out a few months ago.  The Backup service would shut down at random, causing the client backups to fail.  It started with one machine, so I set up that machine to run standard WIndows backups to a folder on the server.  Eventually it got so none of the clients were backing up, and I didn't want to rebuild it, and spend money on new drives for a 12-year-old computer (I'm running WHS on an old 1GHz Pentium III desktop).  Once I decom the server, I'll pull the internal drives and DBAN them, and then re-use my 2TB external USB drive, connecting it to the 2012 R2 box.

Edited by WHS_Refugee

so if I uninstall it, what exactly should I uninstall?  last time I tried to uninstall Java (Java JRE, I believe) my server stopped working...

So this makes me wonder how many people are still only using WHS V1.

I am.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

so if I uninstall it, what exactly should I uninstall?  last time I tried to uninstall Java (Java JRE, I believe) my server stopped working...

Seriously? I suspect this has got to be a coincidence - I have never had a Java uninstall cause a computer to malfunction. Hopefully, this will help you track down some other cause.

Yep....to be more precise, it broke my Photo Webshare.

I posted here in the forums over a year ago under the topic of "WHS v1 Need Help w/ Java!"  (sorry, I can't seem to be able to paste links in these forums).....After just browsing through that again, it still gives me nightmares!

So that's why I'm concerned about uninstalling Java....because that's what I was trying to do the last time.