RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver N40L disk limit

Chris77

I have a N40L server with a WD Green 3 TB drive, and the std 250Gb with windows home server 2011.

I have run out of disk space and need to add another drive, I see many are using 4tb drives. What is the max size that will work as I see there are some 5tb WD drives about and see WD are going to also release a 6tb are these likely to work or not.

• 2 months later...

I have 6TB reds in my N36L, but I'm having stability issues on W2012R2 using bitlocked ReFS Mirrored Storage spaces.

As its a 4 year old 24/7 server, I suspect it's either a SATA driver or power supply issue though.

purely because both of the 6TB reds disappear at the same time, and are no longer visible in the OS or even the bios after a soft reboot.  The only way to get them back is to power off and power on again, and they are redetetcted at the POST.  I presume this means that they have disconnected themselves, or something has disconnected them from the SATA bus.

At the time of the failure(s), the eventlog states that a SCSI reset has been sent to the controller, which normally also means a hardware failure. There are no errors prior to this, and it never recovers until powered off.

I am however trying them separately at the moment, and trying to concurrently bitlock encrypt and copy a TB of data to each. That should rule out the PSU as it uses 3 drives and 100% cpu.

If it doesnt fail, then I'll be at a loss. I do have a HP workstation with a TPC module I could test the same configuration in, so that will probably be next.

After waking up this morning, drive 2 (bay 3, drive e:) had stopped encrypting, saying it needed a checkdisk, and the both robocopy processes stalled.  Drive d: robocopy just paused, whereas drive e: robocopy said it could't find the path specified.  Interestingly, the drive hadn't disappeared from the system, and once i'd killed the robocopy processes, the bitlocker encryption on d: carried on.   However, the box was generally slow, and it refuses to shutdown. 

After a warm reboot, drive e has now disappeared.

So at best I have a suspect drive which I can return DOA, at worst, unstable hardware elsewhere.

I'll try both drives in a HP Z210 which uses the intel C206 chipset, it should give me an idea on whether they're likely to work on a gen8 microserver (C204).