RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
rfs830

What parts do I need?

rfs830

Ok after having my server over a year I am not going to be changing from Server 2012 to Open Media Vault.  I getting everything set up for the change over, downloaded the new bios I need to install and got my self 3 new hard drives.  

My question for you all is what other hardware do I need?  I want to install a hard drive in the cd rom slot.  I cant remember if there is an sata and power cable already there or not.  

Just wanted to see what drive caddie other have used and what other cable you all bought.  

I was looking at just reusing the 250gb that came with the server but would you all think it might be better if I went with a 2.5gb hard drive?  

I know people have done so much with this box and just wanted to get some ideas.  

Thank you in advance.   

jmwills

Lots of different options available.  IcyDock has (or used to) a four bay 2.5" drive adapter (non-hotswap) that would fit nicely up there and only needs one power source.  Or, you can use the approved Joe_Miner approved You-Tube renowned method of duct tape.

ikon

Could you clarify rfs830 whether you are, or are not, planning to migrate to Open Media Vault?

rfs830

I am looking to migrate over to Open Media Vault.  I have a new pc that I have running server 2012 and want to turn the HP into a full time linux nas.  I might have to take a look at the Icydocks but I did not see any that went from 5.25 3.5/2.5.  Might just have to take a look at there site.  

jmwills

The one I was mentiong has 4x2.5" bays and fits in the slot the optical device would reside in.

rfs830

Oh i see.  I dont think I would need that.  I dont know if I would ever need more then 1 sata device there.  Plus im not looking to put to much money into the set up as I will be looking to get another nas device.  If this works out well maybe I can pick up another hp box.  

rfs830

ok if I wanted to use Icy Dock for a 3.5in hard drive or maybe a 2.5 in hard drive what case do I need.  I see so many drives.  What did you all use?

edit

Ok i found this dock  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994163

I think this will do what im looking for.  Start out with a 3.5in drive and them I can move to a 2.5 drive down the road all in one device.  Looks like I can can even add a hot swap 3.5in drive with 2.5.  That would let me get 5 drives into this Nas.  

Just need to see where to get the other sata cable now.  

Edited by rfs830

jmwills

Other than being out of stock, that would fit in that top bay.  Your issue may be getting enough ports and power to connect.

ikon

I get the impression from that Newegg page that that device may no long be made.

rfs830

I hope not.  If if it is then maybe I will use.. ducktape lol