RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 7 Reports WHS Drive Capacity Wrong

stuart25

We are looking for your ideas on things you would like to hear on the 100th Home Server Show. We will not promise that we use any or all of the ideas, but a few really good ones could make it! Special features, favorite moments from the past, outtakes that Dave missed? You get the idea. Be creative.

Drop us a line and let us know. Just 5 more shows until 100! It's coming soon.

Hi, I have a home built Server, It was installed on a 1TB disk (great), since then I have added another 1TB disk then a 1.5TB disk making 3.18TB total. This amount will last me a while. My question is, Why when I map a drive in windows (7) do I get a big red bar and a summary of say 1.8TB free of 911MB?

No-one can answer this. Help.

Stuart Brennand.

Hi, I have a home built Server, It was installed on a 1TB disk (great), since then I have added another 1TB disk then a 1.5TB disk making 3.18TB total. This amount will last me a while. My question is, Why when I map a drive in windows (7) do I get a big red bar and a summary of say 1.8TB free of 911MB?

No-one can answer this. Help.

Stuart Brennand.

Ive read about this. I would clasify that as a bug. Windows 7 doesn't know how to display free space on pooled drives from a WHS. So it's showing you the drive that has 911MB of space then it tries to read the total free space but it's getting that from the pool of drives which is 1.9TB. Because it's confused, it shows up as red since how could it have more free space that the actual size of the drive.

Ive read about this. I would clasify that as a bug. Windows 7 doesn't know how to display free space on pooled drives from a WHS. So it's showing you the drive that has 911MB of space then it tries to read the total free space but it's getting that from the pool of drives which is 1.9TB. Because it's confused, it shows up as red since how could it have more free space that the actual size of the drive.

diehard Thanks for that, no-one has had the guts to say it's a bug... I love Windows 7 and can live with explorer showing red!

Edited by stuart25

Stuart, It is not a windows 7 bug, it is actually something in WHS that ties into the free space of the primary drive. I "think" it has something to do with DE. It is a normal behavior.

I agree. It sounds an awful lot like when you use mount points. Saw similar behaviour when setting up a really big Windows Data Center Edition SQL Server box.

• 1 month later...

I have been wondering about this for a while. thanks for the heads up John!