RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client Computer Backups folder - corrupted

Jason

Just encountered a strange issue where my \Client Computer Backups folder has become corrupted and cannot be opened/browsed.  As a result the Windows Server Client Backups service starts and stops (to be expected).  It may have happened when a drive in my RAID6 array had errors.  The RAID has since rebuilt from degradation (Adaptec 7805) and is back to normal.  But only this folder has issues.

Anyone know how to delete a corrupted folder in WSE12R2?

EDIT: so far I've done a chkdsk /r.  Will see if that helps.

Edited by Jason

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

• Jason

• revengineer

Have you tried a repair of the backup database?

If that fails, check for a zero byte configuration file in the backup directory and delete it.

I think the issue was the that folder was not able to be opened at all. As in, it errored out if you try.

I've actually seen that behavior, and yes, a chkdsk /r pass usually fixes the issue.

I think the issue was the that folder was not able to be opened at all. As in, it errored out if you try.

Oops, did not catch that...

Quick questions about WSE12R2 client backups:

1.) how do you move a client backup from COMPUTERS to ARCHIVED?

2.) is it still possible to do a bare metal restore of a machine once it's ARCHIVED?

3.) are ARCHIVED computers still impacted by the Cleanup process or are they exempt?

Unfortunately I do not have a test box here to play w/ these scenarios.  Just changed jobs; turned in my laptop, want to keep the backup image on my WSE12R2 server but wishing to ARCHIVE it.

If you remove a computer from the Dashboard you will be prompted to either save (archive) the backups or delete them and yes you can restore from an archive.  #3 is a good question.

Yikes.  Just installed the latest wave of Microsoft Updates to my WSE12R2 today (patch Tuesday) and now my Dashboard > Devices tab only showing client online/offline and backup statuses.  No PC descriptions.  If you right click on one to view properties no backups are listed.  Sigh.