RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Blinkydamo

New HP Microserver, got some questions.

Blinkydamo

Hi all,

I am going to be setting up a new microserver in a week or two and need some questions answering please.

I am hopefully going to be running CentOS headless. I will have 3x2Tb WD Greens for storage and an ssd for the OS. I would like to run two of the WD as a mirrored pair using the onboard controller and have the 3rd as a sperate with the intention of adding a fourth in the future, again as a sperate drive not as part of a raid array.

I have not had loads of experience with raid so the first question has to be is this possible with the N54L?

The second question is of I have to reinstall the OS will the raid array stool be there or would I lose the data?

Can I change the OS without lose of data, for instance from Linux to Windows?

I am sure there are more questions but this will get me started,

Cheers all

Blinky

ikon

1. The onboard controller will do RAID0 and RAID1.

2. If you put the OS on the separate drive, you can reinstall the OS without losing data. It will also likely work if you put the data on a separate partition on the OS drive, but I feel it's a Best Practice to put the OS on its own, dedicated drive.

3. Linux to Windows and back is another story. Linux typically will want to create a non-NTFS data partition, using EXTx or another format. For the most part, Windows doesn't read those formats in my experience, at least not easily.

Blinkydamo

Cheers for the replies people.

If I create a raid 1 array with the onboard controller I presume I can also have additional single drives along side the array, is this correct?

I will be placing the operating system on a separate drive so that all data is separate from the operating system.

Is it possible to create an array using the onboard controller and then having Linux create an NTFS partition so that I can access that partition from a windows PC?

Cheers again for the info

Blinky

yodafett

given what you have said I would run the ssd on the optical drive port putting it in the optical drive or the space below the bay.  you can then attach the optical drive if you want with a usb convertor to the on board USB Drive.  With Raid enabled for the 2 raid 0 drives you will probably have to create a raid 0 1 drive array for the 2 single drives.

On the partitions using cent os windows can access it as a SMB share without issue no need to create it as ntfs.  going beyond cent os you could load freenas or openfiler and actually present a lun as a iscsi target to windows or esxi or continue with it being a SMB share.