RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hotfix for GPT UEFI breaks all backups

infotime

From what I recall, the install checks the OS and will not install if it's the wrong one.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.

ccracer tipped me off with the answer over at the wegotserved forums.  Turns out that there's a Windows Update that fixes my exact problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2934953

"After you apply update 2960358 for the Microsoft .NET Framework on a computer that connects to a server that is running Windows Home Server 2011, Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials, or Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials with a Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) hotfix, all the scheduled client backups fail."

Installed the Windows Update.  As soon as the server rebooted it began backing up my test PC.  

I was blindly focused on the question: why didn't this hotfix work.  Seems to have worked for everyone else.  Maybe I installed it wrong.  Maybe my download was corrupt.  Maybe I installed the wrong one.  Part of me thinks "why didn't I think to check for more updates AFTER the hotfix".  And the other part of me thinks "who would ever think that a Windows Update would be required to fix a hotfix".  It's too bad Microsoft doesn't mention this in the KB for the hotfix.  It would have saved me two and a half days worth of angst.  

• Like 1

Part of the issue, a big part I'm thinking, is because 2960358 has nothing to do with the GPT/UEFI hotfix - it's an RC4 .NET fix. The GPT/UEFI hotfix is 2781272.

I suspect what happened in my case is that I had not installed 2960358 at the time I installed 2781272, so the backups were OK right after the hotfix.

Joe_Miner

ccracer tipped me off with the answer over at the wegotserved forums.  Turns out that there's a Windows Update that fixes my exact problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2934953

"After you apply update 2960358 for the Microsoft .NET Framework on a computer that connects to a server that is running Windows Home Server 2011, Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials, or Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials with a Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) hotfix, all the scheduled client backups fail."

Installed the Windows Update.  As soon as the server rebooted it began backing up my test PC.  

I was blindly focused on the question: why didn't this hotfix work.  Seems to have worked for everyone else.  Maybe I installed it wrong.  Maybe my download was corrupt.  Maybe I installed the wrong one.  Part of me thinks "why didn't I think to check for more updates AFTER the hotfix".  And the other part of me thinks "who would ever think that a Windows Update would be required to fix a hotfix".  It's too bad Microsoft doesn't mention this in the KB for the hotfix.  It would have saved me two and a half days worth of angst.  

Thanks for posting the Fix to the Fix you found. +1

Part of the issue, a big part I'm thinking, is because 2960358 has nothing to do with the GPT/UEFI hotfix - it's an RC4 .NET fix. The GPT/UEFI hotfix is 2781272.

I suspect what happened in my case is that I had not installed 2960358 at the time I installed 2781272, so the backups were OK right after the hotfix.

I'd say that for whatever reason your system wasn't effected by the same issue as mine.  I ran all the Windows Updates I could find prior to installing the 2781272 hotfix (well I did the second time I installed it, after uninstalling the failed first go round).  2960358 didn't show up on Windows Update until after I installed 2781272.