RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
infotime

Hotfix for GPT UEFI breaks all backups

infotime

I've about had it with WHS 2011.  I've installed two of them in recent months for different customers.  One of the customers is trying to backup a new Lenovo laptop that has Windows 8.1, a UEFI BIOS and a GPT disk.  So the answer to that is get the hotfix from Microsoft http://support.micro...b/2781274/en-us also known as 2781274.

Installing that hotfix broke the server.  Not only did it not help it also completely broke the client backup capability.  Fortunately I was able to uninstall the fix and regained that function.  Next I tried running all the Windows Updates until everything was current then I installed the hotfix again and again no go.

Any ideas?

diehard

When you installed the hotfix, did it not update the client connector software also ? Try uninstalling the client connector and reinstall.

Joe_Miner

When I did it the machine with UEFI (when I converted the Z77 in my signature line below to a desktop) I had to uninstall and re-install the the connector then reboot the machine a few times then it backed up OK

My other machines I waited awhile and they seemed to download the new connector and I only had to reboot them a few times an everything then worked

Edited by Joe_Miner
  • Like 1

ikon

I agree with diehard and Joe-Miner - I had to reinstall the Connector on my Client Computers. I can tell you it does work fine after that, and I've had many Windows Updates to the server and it hasn't broken yet (fingers crossed ;) )

infotime

When you installed the hotfix, did it not update the client connector software also ? Try uninstalling the client connector and reinstall.

Yes, it did.  As soon as the server rebooted the client PC had a System Tray bubble telling me to reboot to finish installing the updated connector software.

When I did it the machine with UEFI (when I converted the Z77 in my signature line below to a desktop) I had to uninstall and re-install the the connector then reboot the machine a few times then it backed up OK

My other machines I waited awhile and they seemed to download the new connector and I only had to reboot them a few times an everything then worked

Did you reboot your client a few times or reboot the server a few times?

It looks like it's really broken even from the server side.  While looking strictly on the server, running the Dashboard from the server:

1) The day it happened at the client's office I could see my backed up computers and alerts.  One computers that backed up recently it said success.  There were buttons on the side (or via right-click) that would allow me to try to initiate a backup, but it would fail.  I'd get a message about a service not running, a pretty generic message.  Both PCs had had the new connector software installed and had rebooted.

2) When I got the machine home and fired it up the Dashboard view of the client computers was even worse.  It showed the client PCs but backup status Unknown for all.  There were no links to the right to click related to backup and there was nothing related to backup when right-clicking either.

I uninstalled the hotfix, ran all the updates to Windows it could find then reinstalled it again.  Now it's back to where it was in #1 above.

Joe_Miner

I checked my notes and on June 4 wrote:

Installing the Connector to WHS2011

I downloaded and installed the WHS2011 connector successfully but when I attempted to backup the Z77 machine the backup would fail.

After reviewing the thread with links to WHS 2011 HotFix: Backing Up UEFI/GPT Partitions  and downloading the HotFix myself – I installed the hotfix onto my WHS 2011 machine and as the revised connectors were pushed out to my client machines, including the Z77, I would reboot those machines in addition to rebooting my WHS 2011 machine.

Afterwards, I could backup my Z77 machine.

Edited by Joe_Miner

diehard

Ok, so that I'm clear. the backups work properly on all the other PC's except one ?

Go check to see in the Dashboard if the PC show up as bold (connected) check the properties for the backup of that PC. See if anthing is missing like drive letters. Try excluding the 100meg partition and start a backup to see if it completes. Sometimes the 100 meg partition is full and that breaks the backup process.

infotime

No, none of the PCs can back up at all now.  The first three you seen in the screenshot are offline because they're not here.  The XPvirtual machine is the only one.  It backed up fine, a couple of times before I did the update.  And that's a clean, plain-ole XP machine with one partition.  

Notice how the normal backup tasks are not available to the right or in the right-click context menu...

whs-backup1.jpg

whs-backup2.jpg

Another screenshot taken last night.  Note that the machine had backed up successfully before the update:

whs-and-xp-backup.png

ikon

If you've uninstalled and reinstalled the Connector on these Client Computers that's an odd situation to have for sure. Not sure what's going on.

infotime

Damn.  Just got super excited for a moment.  The hotfix I linked to in my opening post is for Windows Server 2008 R2.  I thought I had installed the wrong one!  

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781274/en-us

2781274 is for Windows Server 2008 R2.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272/en-us

2781272 is for Windows Home Server 2011.  

Unfortunately when I went to uninstall I see my file called Windows6.1-KB2781272-x64.  Nope, I had the right one installed.  Back to scratching my head.