RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DS412+ vs. DS415play - WHich to Buy

Datanaut

Replacing a HP MediaSmart 495.

I am considering one of these but having a difficult time deciding between them.  I like the robust features of the DS412+; however, I am intrigued by the DS415play's built-in video transcoding.

With the DS415play, I'd also have to use a USB 3.0 to eSata adapter for external eSata extender box.

Will both run DSM 5.0?

Any comments from multimedia users?

Not multimedia, but I wonder if you've laid out your requirements in detail. For example, with the MS 495, you had the ability to back up all your Client PCs. Is that something you need or want going forward? If so, how will you address it, since the Syno boxes don't have it?

That's cool. I just like to see that people have all the bases covered :)

... And your thoroughness is very much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

What about Data Replicator 3 from Synology? Has anyone used Data Replicator 3 software to backup and restore a Windows computer to a Synology box? I am looking at purchasing a Synology box to replace my aging Windows 2011 sever that has been running since 2009. When I go to the meetup in September, I want to take a closer took at the Synology box that Dave will be displaying.

But will Data Replicator 3 provide bare metal recovery?

For me, that would  be the question; that, and will it allow me to select only OS partitions (exclude all data).

From what I've seen it doesn't do bare metal restores, but ask someone who actually owns a Synology box.

• 3 weeks later...