RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

If You Were to Replace Your MediaSmart EX495 Today ...

I'd go with home build since there is a lot more flexibility to expand but it really all depends on how many drives you need.

Drashna Jaelre

Yugo to Hummer in one move. Nice!

Yup. Definitely. A friend had it and offered it for just the shipping cost ($55). Since I was considering getting one anyways, I literally couldn't resist (I mean for that price, would you?)

I had to get hardware for it, but that really didn't take me long. Especially with $400 off of what I was expecting to pay. :)

It's not all roses though. Since it was a review model, thee were a few issues with it. Nothing too major, just annoyances. (missing screws, earlier hardware revision, etc).

My EX495 came back from the dead. Now there's time to think more about this. Thanks All.

That's fantastic news! And yeah, more time is good. If only that it gives you time to set aside more money for decent hardware, rather than scrambling to replace it before the wife kills you.

I'd go with home build since there is a lot more flexibility to expand but it really all depends on how many drives you need.

Definitely. 

But then again, sometimes the simplicity of a pre-built box is very nice.

But it does definitely depend on how many disks you're planning on adding. I don't like externals, so I wanted a case with a lot of expansion. :)