RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
awraynor

HD Sentinel Pro $14 With Free Lifetime Updates

ikon

And I thought Steve's explanations of SpinRite were complicated :o :D

But, at least HDT is capable of testing and finding bad sectors, and then getting the drive to deallocate them.

awraynor

Yes, I like the automatic feature. The poor health of the 2TB drive appears to  be the reason it wouldn't backup to 2011. 

So yet another Green drives bites the dust.

ikon

I sense you coming over to my side, where Green drives don't reside :)

revengineer

I don't think hds does data recovery. But you can do surface reads and rewrites. IMHO the best way to prevent losses is to let the drive read the entire surface on a regular basis. If something gets flaky the drive will mark bad sectors before they cause data loss. I have done this for 20 years and never had a problem with data loss due to bad sectors. I have had full drive failures and although I tried spinrite in these cases it was never able to save me. So my spinrite success rate is actually zero, but I attribute that to the fact that I do the maintenance reads regularly.

Edited by revengineer

ikon

revengineer, I agree about your SR experience. From what you posted it would seem that you only run into trouble once the drives have some physical issue, something SR can't do anything about.

What are you using to do your maintenance reads?

awraynor

I switched from the 2TB to a 1.5TB drive. I'm still having backup failures to 2011. WHS says to run chkdsk which I am doing now. HDS reports 1 bad sector and 1 weak sector. I'll try again

after chkdsk runs. When I left for work this morning the backup was at 78%, but had failed during the few hours I was gone. 

Is it typical to get that far and then a bad sector causes backup failure or should I be looking at something else. Yes, the body count on my WD drives is starting to get pretty high 

and I'm thinking about anothe brand. I think these two are around two years old I have stopped buying green drives completely. Interestingly enough I just bought a 4TB WD

external drive and it's running 6-9C warmer than the internal drives.

ikon

So far, I've found the WD Reds to be reliable. I've had 1 DoA, but that showed up immediately when I tried to SpinRite it before putting it into production (I never put drives into production without pre-testing/certifying them).

revengineer

revengineer, I agree about your SR experience. From what you posted it would seem that you only run into trouble once the drives have some physical issue, something SR can't do anything about.

What are you using to do your maintenance reads?

For my server, I use mostly stablebit scanner every 45 days. On my desktop, I run HD Sentinel on demand; it's nice that the drive remains usable during the scan (unless you let the scan run in exclusive mode). Chkdsk /r should do the job as well, but it of course yanks the drive offline for the duration of the test. On my kids and wife's machines, I run spinrite level 4 twice a year.

awraynor

I just ran chkdsk from boot on the 1.5TB drive, it took hours and HD Sentinel still shows only 1 bad sector and 110 weak ones. My issue is that it apparently is causing failures of backups

as 2011 is still telling me to run chkdsk. Just started another backup, I'll see how it goes.

ikon

Have you told HDS to correct the errors?