RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
awraynor

HD Sentinel Pro $14 With Free Lifetime Updates

awraynor

I have a drive throwing a few errors and not backing up appropriately to the server. chkdsk isn't much help and was searching for opinions

on SpinRite which is obviously pricey. HD Sentinel Pro was mentioned as an alternative and it is on sale for just $14 with free LIFETIME updates

if you are interested.

http://sharewareonsale.com/s/hard-disk-sentinel-pro-sale

ikon

HD Sentinel probably does a fine job of what it's built for, but I doubt it's a replacement for SpinRite. TBH, I've never found anything that is quite the same as SR, which probably explains why it still sells. A bit pricey, granted, but it's worked for me so many times I can't count them.

awraynor

I have a drive that HD Sentinel reports as having bad sectors. I've ran chkdsk and it apparently isn't isolating these sectors, if that is correct terminology? WHS 2011 won't back the drive up and the only answer I come up

with is the bad sectors as 2011 tells me to run chkdsk on the drive. I do and it still won't back the drive up. I'm currently cloning to another drive, but would love to figure out what is truly wrong with this drive.

Does SR run on larger capacity drives such as the 2,3, and 4TB drives? Will it "repair" or at least isolate the bad areas so it will be seen as usable?

revengineer

Spinrite runs great on drives up to 2 GB but not on drives with sizes larger than that. An update is apparently in the works to fix that but since this update has been announced ever since I bought spinrite almost 10 years ago, I am no longer holding my breath for this release. Problem is that the author gets side tracked a lot with projects that do not pay a dime while letting his customers hanging.

Edited by revengineer

ikon

revengineer is correct, SpinRite does not work on drives over 2TB, unfortunately. And Steve Gibson, the author, is apparently doing a complete rewrite of SR. Given that he programs in Assembler, it likely will take quite a while before we see an updated version.

If the drive that's giving you trouble is 2TB or less, then SpinRite has a very good chance of being able to identify bad sectors, recover the data through multiple re-reading techniques, write the recovered data to new sectors, and have the drive lock out the bad sectors. it has worked for me many, many times. Is it perfect? No. Is it good? Yes.

awraynor

The problem drive is 2TB, but given I am buying drives over 2TB now I will wait for the revised SpinRite. I have already moved the data to a new drive and see if that drive will then backup to 2011 appropriately.

revengineer

For what it's worth, I do use hd Sentinel for checking the larger drives.

awraynor

It reports on them, but it lacks the ability to do anything about the errors?

ikon

It reports on them, but it lacks the ability to do anything about the errors?

That's one of my questions....