RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Going Big: Building A 16+ Bay Archival Server

santacruzskim

I think yours is the first post I've seen by someone who is actually happy with Storage Spaces.

I get between 70MB's to 90+MB's depending. As of right now I don't need blazing speeds,may in the future look into MPIO.What do you use StableBit,HW raid?

I was running RAID5 on my 3ware 9650SE-4LPML card, but I've switched them to single drives. I'm running DrivePool on them, as well as on my NearLine and OffSite storage units.

@ikon at one point in time I almost went with a LSI MegaRAID 9261-8i card,a friend of mine swears by them.But I just didn't want the hassle if the card ever went bad on me.I'm seeing a lot of people on the forum running StableBit & Scanner,haven't really looked into it myself.I did give it a glance for whs 2011.But may revisit here soon,do you know if stable bit supports encrypted drives/pools?

• 2 weeks later...

@ikon at one point in time I almost went with a LSI MegaRAID 9261-8i card,a friend of mine swears by them.But I just didn't want the hassle if the card ever went bad on me.I'm seeing a lot of people on the forum running StableBit & Scanner,haven't really looked into it myself.I did give it a glance for whs 2011.But may revisit here soon,do you know if stable bit supports encrypted drives/pools?

LSI cards are very good cards. I use ... well, I have three in the system, but am only using 2 (3x "9240 8i cards", flashed to IT mode, aka HBA mode, no RAID firmware)

And StableBit DrivePool supports BitLocker encrypted drives (with an advanced setting).

We don't support TrueCrypt because of how it works (it doesn't use the built in Windows method, aka VDS).

And StableBit Scanner... well, doesn't care. The SMART data is independent of the data on the disk. And the surface scanner scans by sector, so it shouldn't matter.

And if you do use BitLocker, we do recommend encrypting the system disk, so you can set the drives to auto-unlock on the system. Otherwise, you'll need to unlock them every time the system reboots.

An excellent question and, unfortunately I do not know the answer..... but I'd bet a few dollars that Drashna does ;)

Answered. :)