RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Are HP drives required for Microserver ?

kappclark

I was told by a vendor that you must use HP hard drives in the Microserver...

I can understand you need to use their carrier, but wouldn't any garden variety HD do the trick ?? Would I void the wty if I don't use trhe HP drives ??

Thanks to all for a great forum !

Bill Clark

Windham, Vermont

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kappclark

• schoondoggy

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Post #6 in this thread is the answer: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6041-gen8-hot-plug-sata-hard-drive/

OK, is it just me, or were there others mentally adding, "That's what she said"?

HP just would not warranty the drive they would probably support it as long as your using an enterprise drive (WD RE not Red or Seagate Constellation)

Joe_Miner

No.  Your vendor friend is wrong.  You can use any SATA drive.

Check the 1st post in the CSKenney Thread "ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links" and you'll find links to a vast number of discussions including the types of HDD's & SSD's people are using in the Gen8 MicroServer.

Edited by Joe_Miner
kappclark

Thanks guys ! I just needed some expert guidance ! Will dig deeper into recommended models etc..

OK- now the next question about drives, I have a mothballed DL 585 G2 (motherboard is shot) with 8 Sas drives (146GB each) ... Is there any reason I couldn't retrofit these for the Micro-Server ? I understand this may be a stretch...but we all are tinkerers, right ? (smile)

Bill Clark

Windham, VT

kappclark

Thanks - I think I remember that as well about sas - sata

So, what do you think of these puppies for the microserver (Celeron model) : a 60GB SSD (Kingston SSDNow V300) for OS (Server 2012 R2) , followed by 4 1TB reds in drive bays, ?

BTW - I got the vendor's price for the HP drives -- 500GB 6G SATA 7.2K - $175 each ... the 1TB Reds I can get from same vendor for about $66 each..the SSD is about $55

In any case, this thing is going to be a lot quieter than the DL 380G5 I am currently running !

Bill Clark

Windham, VT

Joe_Miner

I use a 60GB SSD but the install of S2012R2 is more for testing and I swap it out for other SSD's in my N40L depending on what I want to test that day -- for a long term "production" setting I've gone with 240GB & 256GB SSD's.

Edited by Joe_Miner
kappclark

Thanks for the good advice -- size does matter.

Is the Kingston SSDNow V300 series a good choice ? ($55 on Newegg ! )