RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

Having problems using VPN a second time

Rod at home

I'm trying to do some free lance work from home. I need to access a friend's database server so that I can do some DBA maintenance type of work. I set up a VPN connection last night to his server on my Windows 8.1 Professional machine (a Sony VAIO laptop), where I've got the necessary database management software installed. Last night it went well.

Well today I tried reconnecting to the VPN, but Windows won't let me. When I brought up the Networks on the desktop I see a red "X" on the VPN connection I made last night, and next to it is this warning message:

"This connection is not available because there is a problem with your modem or network adapter."

I don't get this at all. How can there possibly be "... a problem with your modem or network adapter" when I'm using that laptop right now to post this message to this forum?!

So, what's really wrong and how do I fix it, please?

jmwills

The IP Address of the destination client could have changed.  You need to verify that.

Rod at home

I don't think it likely, but yes I could double check that. Is there a way of editing the VPN settings so I can verify what the URL is that it's using?

jmwills

Are you using the built-in VPN client in Windows?

yodafett

Set them up on a dynamic dns and then set the vpn client to use that.  I have used no-ip.com in the past as it is free but there are others.

ikon

NameCheap.com offers free DDNS, and it's user friendly to set up too.

Rod at home

Yes, it's the only thing I have available to me, or at least the best that I know about.

Well, that's an interesting idea. I don't know if he'd go for it, though.

ikon

Can you elaborate why he might not go for it?

Rod at home

I haven't hit him up with the idea yet. Man, if I could just get by with no sleep at all I'd be in great shape. I spent a lot of time looking for a new job, and today I've got some meetings I must attend, which won't get done until 6 PM. Basically I can't get to this until later this evening.

Rod at home

Well, I'm having more problems with this. I tried editing the VPN I created the other day, but that failed. Then I tried deleting the VPN, but that also fails. I'm using a page on a website named 7tutorials.com (believe me, I'd love to share the URL with you, but this forum's software will NOT under any circumstances at all, let me copy and paste anything onto this window, a popup related to this window, or anything else like that. Trust me, it's there.)  The Edit button doesn't exist. The Delete button doesn't exist. All it does is says I can't do anything with it, period. I'll try to do a screen capture so you can see what I'm dealing with.