RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS V1 EX495 Health LIght Flashing White then Solid Red

Datanaut

I have removed all drives and run chkdsk.  All errors corrected; however, the data partition on the SYS drive does not complete chkdsk /r.

Cannot do a server recovery because the health light never goes purple.

Suggestions???

One other thought.  All I have available is Windows 7.  Is the FIXMBR and FIXBOOT for Windows 7 able to be used for WHS V1 System Disk repair?

How about doing a CLEAN using DISKPART. This should make the drive appear completely empty, so a Recovery can start afresh.

The System disk is partitioned into two partitions.  C is the System Partition and D is the data partition.  D is spanned across three other physical drives.

Not sure about the command sequence for CLEAN.  Are you saying it will just scrap the MBR and or Partition entries?  If so, how does that leave the data partition?

Can you give an example of using CLEAN and a Server Recovery without losing Data?

Thank you.

diskpart clean destroys the partition table, and you lose any data on that disk

Also, with WHSv1, the data is spanned at all. Most of it is on other disks, stored as normal NTFS files. I have a guide on We Got Served on how to migrate to a "new system" that may help. 

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/tutorials/article/73-migrate-pool-to-new-system/

Also, do you have the KVM cable?
If not it may be much harder to restore. But if you have a copy of the WHSv1 OPK (or a copy of the boot image used for restore, .... the boot.wim is in the tftpd directory on the hp restore disk)... you could in theory use HyperV to pass the disk through to a VM and restore that way.... overly complicated though.

Thank you for your reply, Drashna.  I do not have the KVM cable.

What I have is the Mediasmart Server connected directly to a WIndows 7 System and the original HP Server Recovery Disc Version 3.  I also have the ability to insert the Mediasmart System Disc into a USB docking station on the Win 7 PC.

I am showing the contents of the Mediasmart System Disc and also the HP Server Recovery Disc.  That's what I have to work with.  I just need to somehow get the existing system bootable or to be able to have the Server Recovery Disc complete a restore.  Evidently, without the Health light blinking Purple, the Server Recovery Disc is not able to force a reload.

Any suggestions?

HP Server Recovery Disc.jpg

Mediasmart System Disc.jpg

If you have data on the drive, do NOT use DISKPART CLEAN. As Drashna says, it will completely wipe the drive (well, the partition structure anyway).

Question: do you have backups of the data? If not, I would make that priority one.

Yes, I have the mirroring option on for all data and also have Server Backups on backup drives for all data.  That's the least of the issues here.  I just need an OS or some way to get Server Recovery to take hold.

It's so frustrating that HP doesn't simply allow one to insert the drive on another computer and run a recovery to the system drive.

It may be frustrating, but it also makes perfect sense. Think about this: a Recovery Install is still an Install; it just retains your data. During an Install, the installation program has to identify all the hardware devices and install drivers for them - it does NOT install every driver for every known device; that would be ridiculous.

There's almost zero chance that another system would have exactly the same hardware as your EX495, so the install program would not install the correct drivers.

Having said that, MS realized the problem caused by this situation and addressed it. The first part of, for example, a WHS2011 installation can be done on another computer and then completed on the target computer. The reason this works is that the first thing the installer program does is copy all the installation files to the target hard drive. Then it does a reboot. After the reboot, the 'real' installer is launched from the target hard drive and it does the job of configuring the drivers for the target computer. So, the trick is to let the installation program copy the installation files to the target drive, then shut down the computer instead of letting it reboot, move the hard drive to the target computer, then boot up the target computer from the target hard drive.

OK, so if I were to get a copy of WHS 2011 or 2012, would I be able to add the current three separate data drives into the system?