RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing Windows 7 OS onto SSD

Awful I.T.

Ok this is my first post ever in a forum so if that can tell you just how lost i really am. I have had my Gen8 for approximately 5 days and have still to this day been unable to install Windows 7 onto my SSD which is hooked up properly. When i boot from the disk it goes accordingly and i press install OS. Then i choose custom so i can choose which disk to put the OS on. However when i do this is says that there is no drives to put them on, when i have my SSD hooked up and i have a 4 TB Western Digital HDD(red) in the bay. I don't know if i am just completely missing something but i cannot for the life of me figure this out. I am very new to servers and have only recently learned about computers enough to work on them. So yes I'm a newb if you must say. Please Help!!!

Hello and Welcome.  Do the drives show in the BIOS?  How old of an image is the install disc.  You shouldn't need any drivers for that OS to see either of those drives, but the first thing to check is to make sure the drives are showing up in the BIOS and to make sure the SSD is the first boot option.  Also, are you using the Intelligent Provision option to install the OS?

Hello and Welcome.  Do the drives show in the BIOS?  How old of an image is the install disc.  You shouldn't need any drivers for that OS to see either of those drives, but the first thing to check is to make sure the drives are showing up in the BIOS and to make sure the SSD is the first boot option.  Also, are you using the Intelligent Provision option to install the OS?

Thank you for a response! yes the drives show up in my BIOS. They show up as HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID Controller. The Disk image is from 2013 so its not very old. The array is the only thing in the boot controller order and they are labeled as "CLTR:1". Now when i press F5 upon start up to look at my drives, i when to the logical drive of my SSD and selected it as primary boot drive. When i try to use the Intelligent Provisioning option to install the OS, every time it searches it says that there is no valid media data to boot from. Which is crazy because if i boot it from a disk it goes all the way through until it can't find a volume to put the OS on. 

Both of those drives should not be on the RAID Controller.  The SSD drive should stand alone.  In short, you don't have enough drives to create any version of RAID.

Both of those drives should not be on the RAID Controller.  The SSD drive should stand alone.  In short, you don't have enough drives to create any version of RAID.

When i go to the smart storage after pressing F5, it shows i have 2 logical drives. It then shows me that one is HDD and the other is a SATA SSD. I created arrays for each one because i thought would be a good idea. should i delete both arrays then? 

Yes.  In fact, remove the 4TB drive until the OS is installed.

ok let me try that. Ill get back to ya in a minute

ok let me try that. Ill get back to ya in a minute

Hmmm still doing the same thing. Shows that there is still no volumes to save the OS on. After i took off the arrays i went back into the BIOS just to see what the boot order looked like and it still showed that the smart array was "CTLR:1" even though upon POST it sayed that 0 logical drives were configured??? Do you think maybe i should go into the BIOS and enable "legacy support" or "AHCI support" rather than having "smart array raid" enabled? Im picking at straws now but what the heck. 

Is this an Add-On Controller card?  If not, I would think you need to be in either ACHI or UEFI mode.

Is this an Add-On Controller card?  If not, I would think you need to be in either ACHI or UEFI mode.

Im sorry, i don't really know what a Add-on controller card is…I know i probably should haha.

Holy Crap i got it to work!!! Thank you jmwills!!!!