RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Setting up Anywhere Access with pfSense

cpana

Did you tell the wizard to let you configure the router manually.

Have you confirmed the ports are open correctly?

You don't need the wizard to complete for that, as you can still browse websites on the Server even if AA has not been fully completed.

My problem was that I needed to add the server IP to Squid (Proxy server) “Bypass proxy for these sources IPs”. Now everything is working good and fast.

That makes sense. You've got to be certain there is an open path through to the server. A lot of people run into issues with their firewall/router/gateway/UTM.

I also had this problem before with WHS2011. For a while, I thought pfSense was taunting me. Adding the server to the proxy bypass list solved my issue.

This is undocumented in almost any help docs probably because most, if not all, consumer router doesn't have a proxy function.

If pfsense squid proxy doesn't have the server IP as an exception, the built in anywhere access dynamic DNS updater doesn't work correctly. Had same problem.

i just add an exception for *.microsoft.com and a few of their other domains. But I'm using Sophos, and I'm sure it handles a bit different.

Drashna, would you mind explaining how you do that w Sophos? With the proper regex nomenclature and stuff?

Well, actually, Sophos has a default rule for it. For microsoft.com and windowsupdate.com.

The specific regex string used is:

^https?://([A-Za-z0-9.-]*\.)?microsoft\.com/

And then based on what exactly the issue is, I check more of the "allow" boxes, basically.