RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

PCI-express eSATA card that works on the WHS

Lonestar Wolf

I have WHS PP3 on DELL PowerEdge T110.  I want to install PCI-express eSATA card to expand storage capacity. I have tried StarTech, IO Creast and now HighPoint, all without success. I have two questions:  Does anyone have a valid driver for Highpoint Rocket 622A for WHS PP3?  (2) Does anyone know the manufacturer and catalog number of the PCI-e eSATA card that works on the WHS?  Thank you for your help!  LSW.

Hmmm, you might have some issue finding a driver for WHSv1 (based Windows Server 2003). I believe it uses XP drivers (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here). If there are no XP drivers for the boards you've tried then you may be out of luck.

Did you try HighPoint's website? They have XP/Server 2003 drivers, which is what you want.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series_r600-download.htm

But anything that has server 2003 drivers should work with WHSv1. Ikon is correct, it's based on Server 2003 (well, SBS2003, specifically, which is based on Server 2003).

However, just be aware that the Rocket card DOES NOT SUPPORT PORT MULTIPLICATION. Which means one drive per port. It means no (*shudder*) ProBoxes, or other multi-bay enclosures.

You need the RocketRAID version to support that.

Otherwise, try this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816150032&cm_re=SC-SA0M11-S1-_-16-150-032-_-Product

It supports server 2003, and port multiplication (in fact Alex from Covecube/Stablebit recommends these cards)

Dear Drashna and Ikon:

I have downloaded the drivers from the Highpoint web site and tried it on the card without success.  I have just place an order for the SIIG SC-SA0M11-S1 PCI-express 2.0 card (Model SC-SA0M11-S1).  I will receive it in several days.  I will test it out and report back to you.  If you have any further inputs, please let me know.

Thank you for your time!

LSW

If the drivers for the high-point card aren't working, then please do contact HighPoint. They're at least decent about support.