RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any Thoughts on RePurposing a Vintage HP EX475 MediaSmart

Shepherd Jim

First, and MOST IMPORTANTLY: I am not a "BYOB person" — my electronic construction career ended back in the early 1960's when I assembled a HeathKit transistor radio.

Anyway, I have an HP EX475 WHS unit which I took out of service a few years ago ...right after Microsoft broke my heart when they announced they were doing away with Drive Extender.

I'm wondering if maybe there's an easy way to re-use the HP box as plain enclosure for 1 - 4 drives. Who knows, someone might even be able to talk me through setting up a RAID.

Since I retired the MediaSmart box I've been using a Droid-FS 5 bay networked unit to house backups of our two laptops and act as a server, though I tend to move any files I need to work on from the Drobo to the laptop and then back again for "storage."

My wife is on a tear. I need to find a use for the EX475.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas - thanks!

Jim

Maine

Sorry, all the previous conversation turned out to be about the possibility of selling the EX475 and the thread was moved to the Buy/Sell arena.

I've re-posted here wanting to re-address whether or not someone might have some thoughts about how I could possibly use the unit as a simple 4 bay disk enclosure.

Jim

I suppose you could find a long SFF-8087 Forward cable and use it to extend the drive cage SATA links to the outside of the chassis.

some ideas off the top.......

Pull it out of retirement and using a relatively cheap (see Newegg recondition drive sales or go to goharddrive.com) VelociRaptor as the OS drive reload WHS-V1, put 3 pre-advanced format drives in the other 3 slots and use it as a NAS Box.

If you happen to have a KVM you could make a low-powered/cheap/low-performance desktop out of it but if you don't have a KVM then don't bother -- they cost ~$80 and aren't worth it now IMHO.

I know some guys have converted the MSS boxes to simple external HDD boxes so hopefully some of them will chime in.