RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P410 and HDDs 4Tb

blackofe

i feel myself foolish. just bought p410 for my home server and found out that each 4Tb HDD is shown in the smart array utility like 2Tb. so with 4 HDDs i got just 6Gb RAID 5.

i wanted to save money and bought p410 instead of p420. after such a confusion i returned p410 back to the seller and bought p420 (oh dear! it's 4 times more expensive!). but reading this forum i started to realize that i made a hasty conclusion, and my problem could be resolved with a newer firmware update.

am i right? can p410 potentially work with HDDs larger than 2Tb?

thanks for any help.

hard: HP ML310e

soft: WSE 2012

Can the BIOS be set for UEFI mode? Either that or you need to format those drives as GPT.

i believe the BIOS supports UEFI, because the embedded smart array controller b120i has no problem with large drives. i'm able to create a huge volume 16Tb (RAID0), using b120i array utility, and WSE2012 works with such a drive pretty smoothly - creating one 14.6TB GPT partition.

i believe b120i and p420 belong to the same generation, thus they both can work with >2Tb drives. the problem was with p410 that was from the previous generation. and having all the drive connected, it has shown me each of them like 2TB - physically.

my question was: could i make p410 accept >2Tb drives, applying some firmware or so?

You need to update the firmware on the P410 to the latest version. 

The specs show support for 3TB and 4TB drives.

• Like 1

thanks! that's what i thought. although it won't help me, cos as i said i've returned p410 and bought p420. obviously it costs (no.. it COSTS!). i just hope that buying p420 i get some additional benefits like PCIe 3.0 and the speed 6Gb/s. and potentially, p420 may support 6Tb in future.

anyways i'm just in the beginning of my server experience and i'm definitely going to have a lot of new questions.

The P420 is listed as supported on the ML310e so it should show up in iLO and report drive data properly.

and potentially, p420 may support 6Tb in future.

Now that we've passed the 2TB barrier, the next one is WAY up there - something like 16 Exabytes - so there should not be any issue with 6TB drives.

• Like 1

The P420 is listed as supported on the ML310e so it should show up in iLO and report drive data properly.

i guess so, though i didn't try it yet. yesterday i've just received p420 and installed it. i've bought it on ebay, so i didn't cherish too much hope. however it has come in a pretty good shape - unpacked, but practically new. and the most important thing - the battery is included!

so now i have a super-duper redundant 12Tb disk subsystem (4x4Tb RAID5). the only thing i'm worrying about for now is the 3Tb seagate that is used as a system disk. today i expect WD velociraptor 500Gb coming, i'm going to install WSE 2012 R2 from the scratch, and i hope this will close the case finally.

Now that we've passed the 2TB barrier, the next one is WAY up there - something like 16 Exabytes - so there should not be any issue with 6TB drives.

you must be right. although it's not clear to me, why the manufacturers set limitation, say on the supported memory. for example my ML310e supports up to 32Gb memory. ok, now it's 4x8Gb. but what about 4x16Gb? or 4x32Gb? won't it work?

You're comparing apples and oranges: RAM is not the same as disk drive. They each have their own standards and protocols. Besides, RAM is nowhere near the 2TB addressing limit at this point.

As far as RAM is concerned, 4x16GB ? Good luck finding any of those. AFAIK, they only exist in beta samples, not for retail sale. And 4x32GB don't exist at all. Also, RAM has its own addressing scheme, quite different from hard drives. Even if 4x32GB RAM sticks did exist it's entirely possible the chipset in the ML310e wouldn't be able to decode them.