RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Rant: SATA connectors not robust

manphil

I'll keep it short ..or try atleast....

My WHS reported a dead drive ...rebooted and it just wasn't in the list anymore, BIOS or OS or pool.

Went to the console and "removed drive from pool"....operation successful ..no data lost ..thankyou folder duplication.

, lost most of my backups ..my fault haven't re-installed BDBB, since last rebuild!!

Went out and bought me a brand new 2TB monster, after explaining to the house financial manager the dire failure ..purchase approved. ..cool!

Put new drive in ..had a succession of reboots where drive not recognised, the new one and then sometimes one of the other drives in the franken-build!

Seems that each time I got the hands inside, a small wiggle of any one SATA cable caused a disconnect.

Maybe there are better cables ...I need to look in to this, the supposedly "dead" drive had a suspiciously loose SATA connection at the MB plug. ...threw the cable away.

Removed "dead" drive, used new cable with new drive.

Have "dead" drive sitting an external dock via USB ....all files are there plus the backups ....but lost now because backup database has been rebuilt :angry:

Looks like the drive was NEVER faulty.

PS ...Don't tell the Finance Dept. B)

Edited by manphil

Are you using the SATA cable that has the seperate power cable?

Example: SATA.jpg

I stopped using this type as I have had problems just like to mentioned, I went to this style cable instead:

33367big.jpg

I have not had any problems since!

But look at it this way, you were able to get the approval for a new HD outta the experience!

• Like 1

Good suggestion ..will go seeking those better connectors.

Yeah ..it wasn't a total loss ..well .....win wn really :rolleyes:

cheers,

Phil

..and good pictures ...saved a thousand words !!

Edited by manphil

Good suggestion ..will go seeking those better connectors.

Yeah ..it wasn't a total loss ..well .....win wn really :rolleyes:

cheers,

Phil

..and good pictures ...saved a thousand words !!

There is a guy on eBay that has them for less then 3.oo$US shipped, PM me if you want the link or just search eBay. He is in Hong Kong though so its take about 10 days to get the cables.

I hear ya! I've also had good luck with a similar wide connector that accepts SATA power (instead of the 4-pin) as well as standard SATA connectors with locking tabs. I had a very similar problem as yours, which makes me discard most of the SATA cables that come bundled with motherboards...

cooldrives_2074_18472654.jpg

satacables.com appears to be down.

amazingly useful website here: downforeveryoneorjustme.com

I second the locking SATA cables. I got a bunch when I bought my last gigabyte board. Much nicer than the standard SATA cables.