RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
BSR

Fujitsu Scansnap iX500 Scanner $409.99 at Newegg

Big Worm

How is it not?  I have all my documents in there. All my scans are just PDF files that are the actual note in Evernote.  I have manuals in there, receipts, bank statments, etc... The awesome thing is that it is everywhere since Evernote has apps for every device you can think off.

ikon

A proper document organizer has an automatic indexing and searching system built in - it's self-contained and full featured. EverNote may fit your needs, and that's great, but I don't think it does what I want. I'm using the ScanSnap software, but I'm not happy about it, and it does have some auto-indexing capability. It does not, however, have integral search, which annoys me. I'm looking for something more like FileCenter. Unfortunately, the ScanSnap doesn't integrate all that well with FileCenter.

Big Worm

Evernote does have a search function.  It even searches the PDF files that I scanned in.  

ikon

But does it auto-file, auto-organize, and auto-index the files?

Jason

After using iX500 for only 15 mins I can see what the hype was all about. But now need to determine the best way to index files on NAS so that they can be easily searched vs just folders/filenames. Though I'm starting there just to begin scanning docs to searchable PDFs.

Big Worm

But does it auto-file, auto-organize, and auto-index the files?

Note sure I would even trust something like this, but no Evernote does not do that.  

ikon

Note sure I would even trust something like this, but no Evernote does not do that.  

Geek-Accountant says the auto-filing with FileCenter is excellent. And, even if something did get mis-filed, the global search capability provided by the auto-indexing would allow you to find a document easily & quickly.

To me, the ideal filing system is one where you just dump everything into 1 big pot and then use a search feature to find whatever you want. Having to file things into folders, drawers, etc. is just a huge time waster.

Big Worm

Would hate to see your email inbox!   :o   I have folders for everything.

awraynor

I use folders, but the search in Evernote is very good when I need it.