RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
BSR

Fujitsu Scansnap iX500 Scanner $409.99 at Newegg

jmwills

I'll take the IRS approach.  Anything over 6 months can be discarded.

ikon

LOLOL :D           even in Canada we heard about that one!

Jason

I went into my office today and realized I had heaps of paper and hanging folders I had blocked out of my mind.  Was in denial.  Bit the bullet and purchased an iX500.  If it doesn't live up to expectations I'll return it, but unlikely based on reviews I've read.  Sounds like most here are using the software that comes w/ it (including Acrobat) to scan and create searchable PDFs?  Then just using windows search to find PDFs based on your folder structure and naming convention?

awraynor

And you have to backup all computers, but the most  important one.

BSR

Sounds like most here are using the software that comes w/ it (including Acrobat) to scan and create searchable PDFs?  Then just using windows search to find PDFs based on your folder structure and naming convention?

Exactly.  YMMV but I just use a folder structure for categories (Property, Vehicles, Taxes, etc...).  Some have subcategories.  I rename each file with a date YYYYMMDD and short description.  This allows for easy sorting, and to quickly find & dump old years when appropriate. 

• Like 1

ikon

I went into my office today and realized I had heaps of paper and hanging folders I had blocked out of my mind.  Was in denial.  Bit the bullet and purchased an iX500.  If it doesn't live up to expectations I'll return it, but unlikely based on reviews I've read.  Sounds like most here are using the software that comes w/ it (including Acrobat) to scan and create searchable PDFs?  Then just using windows search to find PDFs based on your folder structure and naming convention?

I'm using Adobe iFilter to search. It's free. Be aware, if you don't have it already installed when you install Fujitsu ScanSnap Organizer, it won't be recognized by Organizer. So, if there is any possibility you might want to look at using iFilter, I would download and install it first thing.

Also, Fujitsu makes this BIG argument that they don't include TWAIN drivers with the ScanSnap line because they want things to be super simple for non-tech users. I'd be interested in how you find that arguments squares up with the process you need to follow to get all the ScanSnap software updated to the latest versions.

Big Worm

Evernote and this scanner is awesome!  I have the little brother s1300i, but wish I had this bigger guy for its higher number of paper handling capabilities.  

Jason

I've heard people like Evernote but I don't really want to become dependent on a cloud service if I can help it. Another subscription fee, etc. Immediate plan was to organize locally on NAS and backup to cloud.

Big Worm

What's nice about the SnapScan software is that you can tell it to scan into Evernote and create a copy to a file path.

ikon

Perhaps, but I don't see EverNote as a proper document organizer. Am I wrong?