RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
BSR

Fujitsu Scansnap iX500 Scanner $409.99 at Newegg

awraynor

No and no. I have the button on the scanner to be a one push to scan affair. It then scans automatically into PaperPort. From there I name and file under my

own convoluted method. I believe Mike Howard likes FileCenter for an automated sorting, my needs don't justify the price. I bought PaperPort for less than

$20 on a NewEgg special.

ikon

I would like to implement something like FileCenter, but it doesn't integrate well enough with the ScanSnap due to the lack of a TWAIN driver. I'm considering getting an Epson scanner.

awraynor

I recently was using a Canon Scanner and it also worked well. The main thing for me was that a dedicated document scanner is so much

better than using the scanning function of an AIO. 

I originally bought a BulletScan S300 as it was named the number one scanner, I believe by PCWorld? The problem was later they

didn't release proper drivers for Win8. It did however, allow the scanning of rigid documents, ID cards, etc. better than the Fujitsu

scanner. It would allow scanning from the front of the device for these items. 

Nonetheless, for my simple needs PaperPort and EverNote work well. But I am jealous of the larger form factor of the iX500. My

1300 is a combo travel/home scanner and it a little less sturdy when handling larger stacks of documents.

A number of people have asked BitsDuJour to offer a discount for FileCenter, but apparently they aren't interested in a discount

offer yet. 

Jason

Wow. People still scan docs and archive them? My scanner has an inch of dust on it. Don't have a need for paper anymore let alone many electronic doc copies.

ikon

Are you now so wealthy you just don't care anymore? :D

Jason

LOL. Hardly the case. Seems more like any docs I need are available electronically these days. Don't get me wrong, I love gadgets. Just trying to think of how I could invent a purpose for this scanner.

How are you all integrating it into your WHS? For example what software is running on WHS for managing docs? Or is it nothing more than a series of manually renamed PDF files that have run thru OCR and are searchable?

jmwills

What "software" would you need to run on WHS to manage your document input?

Jason

OK. Maybe none. So this device is wifi enabled so it can scan and save scans in PDF directly to a WHS share? Am very curious now as I've used an older Canon flatbed scanner in the past.

jmwills

The old SBS platforms did have an option to receive incoming faxes and direct them to a Share Folder.  Not sure if this was brought forward with the Essentials platform.

ikon

Using a flatbed scanner to digitize receipts, invoices, appliance manuals, etc. is really an exercise in frustration. A dedicated desktop scanner that scans both sides of documents in a single pass, and integrates with proper document management software is another world altogether. I have been working to empty my file cabinet of documents and only retain digital copies. With proper search capability it's actually easier to find things in the digital copies than it is using paper.