RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
BSR

Fujitsu Scansnap iX500 Scanner $409.99 at Newegg

ikon

Yeah. It's a shame that Fujitsu has chosen to put such a premium for simply having the ability to use TWAIN. It really doesn't make sense to me; I can't think of a good marketing reason for it.

schoondoggy

Although it maybe a kludge, most of the software packages you have listed, work with Scansnap. 

jmwills

I'm the same way for most bills in the large city I call home.  But I also manage property in three states for my family -- most are in out-of-the-way places where e-billing hasn't caught on.  The lawn-care outfits, plumbers, handymen, cleaning services, etc... that I use are all very small businesses that still think faxing is high-tech.  So there's still a lot of paper billing for me.

You have a FAX machine?  Now I'm telling my age when Fed-Ex called it "Snap-Mail".  Have you looked at this?

http://fax-to-pdf.com/

ikon

Although it maybe a kludge, most of the software packages you have listed, work with Scansnap. 

Yes, but a TWAIN driver would make it possible for there to be no kludge at all. The issue, what does Fujitsu gain by NOT having a TWAIN driver?

schoondoggy

I 'assume' they are able to make a better scanner for the same money by dropping TWAIN.

I was at the Dr's office this morning and every check in desk has a Fujitsu scanner. I am guessing their healthcare app does not use TWAIN and Fujitsu owns this market.
Here is the Fujitsu answer:

http://scansnapcommunity.com/tips-tricks/162-why-doesnt-scansnap-come-with-twain-drivers/

http://scansnapcommunity.com/features/2219-to-twain-or-not-to-twain/

Dave

Can you share your work flow and software you use? It would have to be simple and accessible via mobile for me to adopt it

ikon

I've read both of those before. There is one question they don't answer: why not provide a TWAIN driver in addition to the ScanSnap driver, for those that want to go to the trouble of installing one? They already have a TWAIN driver for their other scanners; it can't take much effort to have it work with the ScanSnap line.

I guess the only answer that makes much sense is that Fujitsu doesn't want to cut into sales of their higher end scanners. IOW, if you want to use software other than their weak ScanSnap Organizer, you have to use their higher-priced scanners.

awraynor

I use PaperPort with my S1300i and it works fine. It's a bit bothersome to do the setup, but it's only a one time thing. I input into the inbox, open Evernote and it automatically imports everything in the inbox.

Then sort out to other folders within Evernote. The ix500 came out just after I bought the S1300i and would like the larger form factor device. Nonetheless, it works well and I scan "everything".

ikon

I use PaperPort with my S1300i and it works fine. It's a bit bothersome to do the setup, but it's only a one time thing. I input into the inbox, open Evernote and it automatically imports everything in the inbox.

Then sort out to other folders within Evernote. The ix500 came out just after I bought the S1300i and would like the larger form factor device. Nonetheless, it works well and I scan "everything".

Can you initiate scans from within PaperPort? Can you auto-file documents as they're scanned?

I have tried PaperPort, but it's not for me.