RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UPS required - what do I need

Dragon_Void

Hi,

I'm looking into getting a ups or 3 for myself. I know next to nothing about UPS's, so i'm hoping someone here may be able to help. At the moment, I have 5 HP Proliant Microservers. I also have a custom built computer with a 850w power supply.

My question is, what UPSes must I get to power these computers?

1. The servers does not need to shut down automatically, I just need to have it powered on for 5 - 10 minutes after the power goes off. The ups needs to alert me when the power went off though.

2. For the custom built computer, the ups must just be able to safely shut down the computer.

How much KVA will be needed to power 5 micro servers, and my small computer? What is the best brands out there?

I'd start with the APC UPS Selector tool: http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/

1. Select Server Room and Network Closet

2. Select configure By Device

3. Input your preference for expansion percentage and runtime, among others

4. Click Server icon at the bottom and add you HP Proliant Microserver

5. Fill in the other details of the Microserver (CPU, PCI cards, drives, etc.) and don't forget to put 5 as the quantity

6. Click Add to Summary

7. Click on the PC/Workstation icon and fill up the specs

I would suppose you'll know where this is going so at the end of this exercise, you'll be presented with APC models that should suit your needs. Modify your specs as needed.

My recommendation is the CyberPower PFC series. These are Power Factor Correction UPS', so they will be useful well into the future (i.e. they are compatible with the newer power supplies). I'm currently using this one: http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/pfc-sinewave-series/CP1500PFCLCD.html

I suspect one of these units would handle at least 2 of your MicroServers. If I was buying, I would get one unit and see how many servers it can handle.

These units can email you when events occur. They also handle auto-shutdown of computers linked by a USB cable, and, I believe they can also shutdown other computers that are not connected by USB cable. CyberPower provides a program that you can run on your server(s) to manage the UPS'.

I'm using the same UPS as ikon.

It's a great device, and i've never had any issues with it. And I run a .... well "excessively powerful server" on it. (see my signature). And the LCD display says it's under a light load (idles at ~150W)

• 2 weeks later...

i have 3 UPSs in the house, 2 older 1000 series APC Pros converted for extended run time and 1 750 smartups. smartups i have the network management card installed and it will send an alert via email to shut down all of my boxes (the 750 runs the network equipment and the older home server. 1 1500 series for main pc and and rest of lab on second 1500. And just to make it the full foshay the entire house is on a hobert generator with a trip switch set at 10 minutes.

• Like 1

Well, we recently got solar (sunny San Diego!), and I'm seriously considering seeing about setting up a battery farm to go completely off the grid. 

And we could, we generate ~50kWh per day, or about ~25-30kWh per day if it's cloudy/raining, and use roughly 30kWh per day. 

50 KWH per day? That's a lot. In your situation I would be looking at a battery bank too. Mind you, you have to factor in the cost of replacing the batteries every 5 years.

50 KWH per day? That's a lot. In your situation I would be looking at a battery bank too. Mind you, you have to factor in the cost of replacing the batteries every 5 years.

Well, the entire back half of the house is covered in solar panels. 35 of them, to be specific. 

And I do live in San Diego. Where it's bright and sunny, all day, every day. We get clouds and rain like Seattle gets sunlight. :P

Do you have net metering?

Yes, I believe so.