RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Gen8 g1610t Debian OMV no HDD

MarcE85

Hey,

Since yesterday im an owner of the hp gen8. Ive managed to install debian and OMV on the SSD mounted to the floppy port. But my problem is that i cant see the other 4 HDDs (4 WD Red) inside OMV or Debian. At the boot the POST only shows the Kingston SSD.

Regards Marc

Check the connector that connects the drive cage to the mother board. People have had trouble with this connection in the past, particularly with thinking it looked like it was properly seated into the socket when it really wasn't.

Hitching a ride on this topic as well, I tried installing Debian Squeeze minimal on Gen8 and then proceed installing OMV. I have enabled array 1 RAID 0 on the ssd (connected to the 5th sata) and array 2, RAID 0 too.

Prior installing debian, I pulled out the data drives (array 2, Raid 0 4x3TB WD reds). I managed to install Debian and ran OMV. However, when I plugged the data drives in. The boot logical drives (ssd) could not be set. Asked me to proceed disabling the logcal drives, press F2 OR proceed to set logical drive and data loss. 

I am pulling my hair out after trying to many times. The reason I do not want to go ACHI mode and turn all disks into JBOD is due to the fan problem. This is so nerve wrecking.

Thix for this tip! it was the connector that wasn't plugged in correctly :)

I managed to bood from SSD just by installing GRUB on a USB Stick and plug this stick into the internal USB Slot.

Thx

Thix for this tip! it was the connector that wasn't plugged in correctly :)

I managed to bood from SSD just by installing GRUB on a USB Stick and plug this stick into the internal USB Slot.

Thx

Your welcome. Glad to hear it was as simple as that to fix. I bet it feels good to know it's not something more serious :)

Just a quick one to say I have no fan speed issue with AHCI and Wheezy.

I actually run the OS from a USB3 memory stick stuck in the USB2 internal port. Runs just fine, but I have plenty of memory and tuned swampiness to 10 to prevent USB swap if at all possible.