RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA $159.99

schoondoggy

Apparently these drives to run on the warmer side.

Have a user on the Covecube forums mentioning this model, and it seems to run at about 110F (~43C).

I'm not sure of the entire setup, so I can't comment on the airflow and the rest of the system. But this doesn't surprise me (running at 7200 RPM after all)

Are they the manufacturer or a relabeled drive, just not that familiar with the brand?

The are new Hitachi's. WD bought them, but the are run as a separate company.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

WD bought Hitachi. Thanks. I was thinking Seagate bought them. I've had pretty good luck with Hitachi drives over the years (even when they were still IBM Deskstar ;) )

IBM sold their disk drive group to Hitachi, but Deskstar was an IBM design and manufacture.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

WD bought Hitachi. Thanks. I was thinking Seagate bought them. I've had pretty good luck with Hitachi drives over the years (even when they were still IBM Deskstar ;) )

Seagate did buy Samsung's HDD division. 

IBM sold their disk drive group to Hitachi, but Deskstar was an IBM design and manufacture.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

According to that link WD only got the 2.5" HDD and SSD divisions; Toshiba got the 3.5" HDD as part of a regulatory agreement. If that's true, then these should be Toshiba drives, but AFAIK Toshiba doesn't operate its HGST division under that name, so it's a little confusing.

Is it possible that the WD-HGST operation has started making 3.5" HDDs again?

To buy HGST, WD had to divest itself of 'certain' 3.5" drives. Also, they had to take over Toshiba's factory in Thailand. When I compare HGST and Toshiba 3.5" desktop drives, they look identical. They may be built in different factories, but they appear to be the same design.

WD has left HGST as a separate company.

http://www.wdc.com/en/company/pressroom/releases/?release=abccf3e5-0d6a-4e4c-879c-b7889f91f84d