RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
hisnameisdome

Best solution for special home server demands?

hisnameisdome

Thanks for your valuation! Why would you use WD Reds instead of Greens? The Reds may be faster, but the Greens would be power saving.

ikon

They're both power saving. I haven't bought Greens in 2 to 3 years now because I no longer have faith in them. The ones I own have had a tendency to develop bad sectors more rapidly than I find acceptable. I use them for temporary and short term things, but I don't use any of them in production any more.

hisnameisdome

So, the T110 II with more RAM and WD Reds would fit my needs, you say?

If so, which options do I have to controll the machine from another one to avoid needing another screen + keyboard + mouse. And can the T110 II do wake-on-lan or do I have to buy a NIC for that? If so, which one would you recommend?

And thanks for your help so far!

ikon

I don't know the technical specs of the T110 but most modern motherboards support WoL. I would check the specs to be sure. If you use a Windows OS (server or desktop 'pro') you could use Remote Desktop to control the OS.

hisnameisdome

The internet says, that the T110 II supports WoL out of the box. But because of the price tag, may I ask to what extent the power of the T110 II (Intel Core i3-2120, 3.3GHz) is superior to the N54L (AMD Turion II Neo N54L, 2.2GHz)? The machine should be able to transcode movies in 1080p (using Plex), but still be kind of usable for others in the meantime. Would do both the job?

ikon

Well, certainly an i3 is more powerful than an N54L. I can't tell you if that i3 would be powerful enough to do transcoding and still be usable for other purposes. I would certainly be more comfortable using an i5 or i7 though.

hisnameisdome

Well, I guess I could exchange the CPU in the T110 II. Here's a list I found of supported processors: http://servers.findthebest.com/q/104/5664/How-many-and-what-processors-are-supported-by-the-Dell-PowerEdge-T110-II-Server

I hope that's enough power for the next few years of mostly media streaming.

It's unfortunate that the N54L doesn't seem future-proof enough, because I really liked it's small form factor.

ikon

You can get virtually the same small form factor with the Gen8 MicroServer, and you can change the CPU in it to a Xeon if you like. I'm not recommending for or against it - just saying that it does have the small size.

hisnameisdome

Since the motherboard of the Gen7 has a proprietary form factor and the CPU is soldered, I thought that these same disadvantages do also apply on the Gen8 model. Is it really possible to upgrade the components with the Gen8?

ikon

You can for sure upgrade the CPU on the Gen8. Several members of the forum have already done it. Use Bing or google to search for postings about it. You can restrict the search to HSS forums by including "site:homeservershow.com" as one of the search parameters.