RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Western Digital releases 6TB budget NAS hard drive

TheGuy

Storage hardware company Western digital has expanded its WD Red WD Green line of 3.5 inch network attach storage (NAS) hard drives with the release of two low-priced 6TB capacity hard drives.

The WD Red 6TB hard drive is designed for medium and large enterprise markets and is priced at $299.  The WD Green 6TB hard drive is meant for consumer storage needs and is priced at $279.  The company also released a new 5TB hard drives for both lines...

• Like 1

I've been waiting for these. I would like to scale down my server footprints and power requirements. I'm thinking of doing a mass upgrade and selling off a whole batch of 2TB and 3TB drives (mostly Hitachi, WD Red and Enterprise).

Would it be within Forum policy to offer the drives for sale here? (I can also do it on Amazon, but I thought some server guy might enjoy getting a set of well maintained drives.)

I agree, the price is still a bit of a premium, like it is for every new increase in capacity. I'm sure prices will drop over time. Still, only a $20 price difference between Greens and Reds is nothing.

Can easily have decent amounts of storage in the simplicity of a mirrored array now.  With 1TB SSD dipping to 400 every now and then as well, makes running home labs small and "affordable".   Now get Jim 5 for his Drobo to have 24TB storage on it .  They also have Red Plus for PCDoc for those arrays between 8-16 Drives.  You know he has that 64TB Raw array in his server somewhere

Edited by yodafett

I see only one practical advantage of the WD Red Pro; 5-year warranty. Spec-wise, they're almost identical.

But one particular specification like the higher rotational speed (7200 rpm) may probably even be detrimental for a home NAS due to increased power consumption and heat dissipation, compared to the original WD Red. Besides, the increase in RPM didn't translate to a commensurate increase in read/write performance. But I know they only have SMBs in their sights for the Pro so this fact may very well be irrelevant.

But all things considered, I'd stay with the non-Pro Red for now, especially with that 6TB model taunting me to get one.