RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home Build Specs - Looking For Feedback

jammastercd

I'm researching components for a WHS home build. My goals are:
-Relatively low power consumption
-Enough processing power for some add-ins
-Primarily used for media server and PC backups (I don't expect this machine to transcode media files on the fly, and I'll use my office PC to rip music and movies)
-Flexibility for future storage expansion
-Rack mounted because I purchased a used Middle Atlantic 18U rack to be placed in the basement
-Reasonable, but not rock-bottom cost

So far I've come up with the following parts list (pricing via NewEgg.com):
-Case: Ark 4U-500-CA Black 4U Rackmount Case ($72.99)
-PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPC370X ($59.99)
-Mobo/PCU: Asus AT3N7A-I Intel Atom 330 Nvidia ION ($159.99)
-Memory: Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR2 667 ($84.99)
-HD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB ($84.99)
-CD/DVD: Lite-On Black 18x DVD-ROM 48x CD-ROM Model iHDS118-04 ($19.99)

Although it's a bit more expensive, I liked the Mobo/PCU combo because it included support for 3 SATA drives, gigabit LAN, and an eSATA connection for additional external storage (for which I've found a nice SATA Rack Mount Enclosure at USB-Ware.com). I also realize the CD/DVD drive isn't necessary beyond installation, but for $20, the convenience was worth it. I'm not in a huge hurry to build this because I have to finish retro-wiring our house with cat6 first. I plan to have that done in the next couple of months, so if there are newer components coming to market soon, I'm open to ideas.

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated!

That looks like a pretty well rounded setup. For me personally, I'd probably choose a cheaper motherboard (say nVidia 9300 or 9400 based) and then a nice dual or tri-core AMD CPU. I personlly would want more power for something I plan on keeping around. That's just me though. Also, is that cpu 64-bit? The rumors are pretty strong that WHS 2 will be 64-bit only. Again just for long-term sake.

I really like that case though. 7 internal drive bays? Maybe if you choose another motherboard, get a full-ATX one that will have more SATA ports than most mATX boards.

The Atom 330 does support 64-bit. Good point on the AMD CPU. I found a nicely priced Athlon II X2 240 Regor on Newegg.com for about $60, and the mobos have a lot more flexibility. Although it will use more power than an Atom chip, the AMD tri-core still seems to be pretty efficient with more horsepower. I'm gonna keep this option in mind.

Thanks for the input!

That is a very good point about the Atom. For something that is one 24/7, low power is a good consideration.