ASRock C2550D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard
 Fractal Node 304 miniITX
SeaSonic SSR-450RM 450W

16gb crucial ecc ram

Intel Intel Xeon E3-1220V3

(4) 2TB red nas wd

1 seagate 160gb drive

1 usb stick

I want learn esxi. So i want to install it on usb stick and possibly store vms in seagate drive. I want to create two windows server 2012 vms. Set up raid 0 or "simple volume" in each vm under storage pools. I'll assign two of the wd drives to each vm storage pool. Then I want to set up dfs to replicate data on both vms. i will still set up frequent backups to an external drive. But theoritecally this should give me similiar performance and fault tolerance as Raid 10.

The motherboard supports raid 10 but esxi will not see it. I don't want to forkover +$500 for a raid controller card as this is just a media server and I'm not running a business here. I do have family pics,etc but I will make sure those are backed up to an external hard drive and possibly rotate it with another exhd. I know I could just install hyperv and that could probably detect intel's software raid 10 but then I won't be able to learn and experiment with esxi.

Any recommendations, advice are welcomed. I do hold a ccna and currently stuyding for mcsa 2012 and have been in IT idustry for 6-7years. So I'm not a newbie just want to hear if anyone has tried this or possibly has any bettery ways of making it work. Thanks!!

Very nice board.  Plenty of SATA ports, 2 Gigabit LAN ports + IPMI port. I'm jealous!

Have you thought about 32 of RAM?

What will the VM's be doing?

I can see what you are aiming to do but your proposed disk and VM arrangement won't come anywhere near the fault tolerance or performance of a true Raid-10 array. What you will have is something similar to a RAID-0+1 but DFS replication between the striped pairs will be done at network speed and subject to control by the Operating Systems and this will be much slower than hardware mirroring on the motherboard or (even better) using a dedicated array controller.

Redundancy-wise, with what you propose, if you loose a single disk, you will loose an entire storage pool. For better redundancy, you should set up two mirrored pairs for the two storage pools, that way you can loose a maximum of two disks and both pools will still be working. However, naturally, the size of each pool would be reduced from 4 TBytes to just 2.

John 

And don't forget, as long as you have adequate backup, even a vulnerable RAID-0 can be tolerated. For example, if you really need to have high speed performance but don't have room in the chassis for enough drives to do RAID-10 you can go with a RAID-0. As long as you have good backup available from which to restore in the event of RAID failure, you're safe. I would never do this without at least 2 full, good backups though.

In the end, it's all about data protection. If your data is well protected you can do just about anything you want.

You list a CPU in addition to that motherboard. However, that board is an Atom board, which means the CPU is soldered on. It's a D2550, so it's a good CPU though. But not upgradeable.