RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Life with Proxmox

c0mm0n

Hi,

I switched from ESXI to Proxmox and love it more each day.

I open this topic, to talk about G8 + Proxmox if anyone interested. This is not a Proxmox vs Esxi thing. I would still use both depending on the situation, for this Gen8 setup (and for my personal use generally), Proxmox is the best choice by far.

My first notes using latest Proxmox VE 3.2

Installation

- G8 raid card not accepted by Proxmox ( a serious issue, but we have a few other options, see below).

- Can't be installed on usb stick (it's a real debian and would kill a stick)

Setup

- Got vt-d working, great, way better than esxi (no need to reboot to passthrough a device is a really nice)

- i've found it to offer many more options to manage hardware and guests (but I'm not an esxi pro and had only a free license, so probably short-sighted feedback). But for free, you get more, that's for sure.

- You need to get used to the environnement, confs files, etc... but If you're Linux-friendly or would rather CLI manage, you got it all.

I'm still testing, and am working like this for now :

- 1 red 3tb as install disk

- 1 red 3tb sent with virtio to OpenMediaVault (OMV running in a KVM container)

- Usb passthrough and NIC passthrough to another KVM

My final setup will be like :

- SSD for proxmox os and VMs

- 2x3tb red sent to omv with virtio, and raid 1 from there. (Virtio gave me 100Mb/s transfers using afp in my first tests with a single disk, very good.)

- Another raid 1 later.

And then I get one of my hosted servers, and start a cluster... can't wait for this to be setup, huge game changer for me.

This is kind of a draft, feel free to ask if anything isn't clear,

Well I was about to try and fix the high fan issue I'm having since running proxmox, and as it's running debian it looks like there's NO solution...

Looks like it's the end of the road for my G8 adventures, gonna send it back to Amazon and try and find a decent replacement...

Gutted but can't keep this 700€ server which I'd bought for the form factor and silence.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been having issues with Proxmox all weekend.. I installed Debian wheezy and added the proxmox repositories into my /etc/apt/sources.list and installed that way.  I think I may have screwed around unnecessarily with /etc/network/interfaces, as all of a sudden I lost the ability to add OVS bridges & bonds through the web interface (I can only create standard linux bridges and bonds).

So, I spent ages messing around trying to get things set up in /etc/network/interfaces.. and think I know have something working.  I'm having difficulties finding decent Open Vswitch documentation and not sure I understand all the concepts fully.  Basically, I want to set up an OVS Bond of eth0 and eth1, a Bridge that uses this bond as an uplink and which all my VMs can hang off.

I've also got a management interface mgmt0 hanging off the same bridge that I use to access Proxmox / host. Here's my config:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-vmbr0 bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
	ovs_bridge vmbr0
	ovs_type OVSBond
	ovs_bonds eth0 eth1
	ovs_options bond_mode=balance-tcp lacp=active other_config:lacp-time=fast

auto vmbr0
allow-ovs vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
	ovs_type OVSBridge
	ovs_ports bond0 mgmt0

allow-vmbr0 mgmt0
iface mgmt0 inet static
	ovs_type OVSIntPort
	ovs_bridge vmbr0
	address 10.0.0.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	gateway 10.0.0.254

I've read that it's best to set up a separate bridge for a management interface so it's a little more 'out of band' and you won't kill your connection when reconfiguring the bridge VMs hang off. I'm just hoping there's no issue creating another bridge that also uses the same bond.  I've yet to try this out though.

I guess I'm not sure if I'm on the right track, and to top it off, I've lost the ability to manage the above in the web interface for whatever reason.  Each of my interfaces bond0, eth0, eth1, mgmt0 show up, but I can't edit them.  I'm not sure why the functionality would just drop out of the web interface like that, or how to fix it up.  My understanding is that proxmox just edits /etc/network/interfaces anyway when you make changes, it shows a diff and the new changes are saved into a .new file, loaded on restart.  My only thought it something funky in my above configuration has messed with proxmox or it's otherwise not detecting open vswitch packages so the OVS Bond and Bridge options are hidden.  I installed openvswitch-switch from the pve-no-subscription repository, so I'm not sure why that would be the case.

I haven't even started setting up VMs yet.  Also need to symlink /var/lib/vz to a logical volume I have at a different mount point (or just change the mount point, maybe).

So far, it's been a bit frustrating to say the least.  It's tempting to ditch the entire setup and install from the Proxmox VE ISO, but I wanted to get more of a feel for how it works and delve back into debian again after several years of not having used it.

Anway, I'm going off on a tangent that doesn't specifically relate to the gen8 in an old thread.

Edited by syner