RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Considering Moving My Web Site to Squarespace

PCEddie

My annual renewal from my web hosting company will be coming due in 3 months which got me thinking of switching my web site hosting provider to Squarespace. I have done some research and compared prices. I am currently paying $11 dollars a month for my current hosting company (HostMonster.com) and $100 a year to Sucuri.net to keep my WordPress site secure . If I switch to Squarespace to host my web site, I will pay $8 per month and $50 per year for Google Apps to host my email (ed@pceddienc.com) which comes out to $12 per month. 

Has anyone switched from their web site hosting provider to Squarespace? If so, how was your experence? Any gotchas from switching hosting providers?

Thanks for any input.

I looked into your suggestion jmwills. What I am looking for is a hosting company that makes it easier to maintain my web site. It is small and I don't see my web site growing. That is one thing that intrigues me to Squarespace. 

Thanks for your suggestion jmwills.

Like I said, Office 365 with SharePoint will give you internal and external facing sites for the amount quoted.

I tried SquareSpace for trial. Issue I had was the tools didn't work as stated and it wasn't as intuitive either.

I haven't used SS in a year or two and I know they have had at least one version upgrade since.  Here were the issues I had when I used it.

1.  Make sure you test the importing of you current WP content into your new site.  That wasn't great the last time I did it.

2.  I could use Windows Live Writer with it.  Just no way to connect to it.

3.  It didn't really work for podcasters.  They have changed since then and I know you are not podcasting, but it was a issue for me.

I'm sure they have changed.  Give the trial a spin and see how you like it.   We can chat if you have some questions.

Thanks tons for the feedback. I am looking into jwills's suggestion with Microsoft 365 for small business. I am looking into some other options with different host providers.

Jim, I do have some questions would be interested to chat with you. 

I have tinkered with the trial of Office365 Small business. The public facing website option seems to be one of the most overlooked features.  From what I can tell it is based on SharePoint so it helps to be familiar with SharePoint for website design.  I don't think they would let you run WordPress on it.  From what I recall, the site looked cleaner than a Google Site, but having more options meant a bit more work than Google Sites.  There are some really cool websites based on SharePoint.  http://www.topsharepoint.com/

That being said, I don't know of anyone using that feature to host their main website.  Would be interesting to see what they came up with.  $6 a month for a website, email, and 1TB of OneDrive space is not bad.

Thanks tons for the feedback. Jmwills, you are making some very good points about Microsoft 365 for small business. I will look further into Microsoft 365 for small business. It should not be too difficult to recreate my web site as I don't think there is a option to port over my WordPress web site. 

Overall what i am looking for is a easier way to maintain and manage my web site.