RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Event ID 51 (paging error) for a drive that doesn't exist?

grit

My Server 2012 essentials install is humming along fine. I have two computers connected (Win 7 Pro & Win 8.1, both w/o domains) and all seems well. The system log shows a bunch of things I'm trying to ignore, but there is one warning that shows up over and over: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk6\DR9 during a paging operation.

The odd thing is, I don't have a harddisk6. I have an SSD as the C:\ with the OS installed. There are four WD Red HDDs installed too, for a total of 5. 

Per Disk Management:

Disk 0 - OS

Disk 1 - D: (client backups)

Disk 3 - server backups (no drive letter)

Disk 5 - E: (storage space) - this is disk 2 & 4 as a mirrored pair via storage spaces

So, where on earth is "harddisk6"?? There are no USB drives plugged in. There isn't an optical disk installed into the system. I'm at a loss.

Actually, does this happen during your server backup window?

If so, it may be because it mounts the VHDs that the server backup uses. And there may be an issue with the disk.

Actually, does this happen during your server backup window?

If so, it may be because it mounts the VHDs that the server backup uses. And there may be an issue with the disk.

Bingo! It is the same time as the server backups.

The drive is new, and I've not seen any other indications of failure. What else could cause that?

I always test any drive before putting it into production - I don't care how new or old it is. You could use the manufacturer's utility, HDTune, or some other 3rd party program.

Bingo! It is the same time as the server backups.

The drive is new, and I've not seen any other indications of failure. What else could cause that?

Not sure. Happens on my system as well, with a disk I know is healthy. But ~2AM every day, there is a disk error generated in Essential's alert system. I'm sure I'd see the same in the event viewer, as well.

Also, just curious, what event ID was this?

Not sure. Happens on my system as well, with a disk I know is healthy. But ~2AM every day, there is a disk error generated in Essential's alert system. I'm sure I'd see the same in the event viewer, as well.

Also, just curious, what event ID was this?

Event ID is 51, listed as a warning. I have stablebit scanner checking it out now, but I'm guessing there's no problem with it. 

As a side note, I'm a little disappointed that Storage Spaces masks the actual drives in Stablebit Scanner. I can scan the parity disk storage spaces allowed me to create, but i have no (apparent) way of scanning the individual hard disks.

All the damn warnings and stuff this kicks out that I don't need to worry about are crazy. 

Ah, yeah, 51. These are rather normal. 

And I agree about Storage Spaces. However, it doesn't just mask the drives from StableBit Scanner. It masks the drives from VDS (Virtual Disk Service), which means most tools cannot access the drives. StableBit Scanner specifically uses VDS for part of it's info, as does DrivePool. As do tools like EaseUS Partition Master.

And here is the MSFT KB about the error actually:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244780

May help isolate what exactly is going on. 

But aside from isolating why it's happening and fixing it.... just ignore it.

Mines been doing this for a while. And my backup disk is connected via USB3.