RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Case for Server?

The Jason

The case my server, an Antec P182, is in is on its last legs.  I've been an Antec-man for years and will be replacing it with something new.  I like the P280 (http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzA0NTM4) which is quiet, but it only has six 3.5" drive bays.  I have five 3.5" drives in my current box, so it could work, but would nearly be full.  The Coolermaster Cosmos II (http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/full-tower-cosmos-series/cosmos-2.html) has lots of space, but I'm worried about the noise.  Silverstone has a large number of options, but I haven't put the time in to sift through them all.

Anybody have a recommendation for a full-sized case, particularly one that's nice and quiet?

Thanks!

I've been a Lian-Li guy pretty much for that last 5 years, but that's because I'm old and weak and can't lift steel cases any more.

I have a discontinued Fractal Define XL full tower case with the USB 3.0 upgrade kit. Is beyond heavy but outstanding quality and a dream server case. Unless FD releases something comparable/improved, I intend to reuse this case for future builds.

The Define XL also has my vote.  I have one that's waiting for my next server build (i.e. waiting for me to have the time to build my next server).  Lots of room, sound dampening and as Jason mentions heavy (ikons need not apply :)

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-xl-r2-black-pearl

My son has a Cosmos 2 for him gaming PC and it is a thing of beauty but it is truly monstrous in size.  I don't recommend that unless you have a lot of room. 

If you want to go with something smaller, you can also expand the number of internal drives by using some of the Icy Dock products that turn 5.25" bays into high density 3.5" bays.  I have one that makes 3 5.25" bays hold 5 3.5" drives.  Or you can add an external drive cage.  I would go with a USB 3 model over eSATA based on a lot of the comments I have read on this forum.  I have a USB 3 Lian Li 5 drive cage and it has worked flawlessly for years now.  Both these options let you expand your drive count when your case hit's it's drive capacity.

Hope some of this helps.

Lots of Good choices mentioned -   but staying with the ANTEC line,   I really like my Antec 1200

The top mounted big fan  really moves a lot of air quietly  -  the other case fans only come on when doing some full on transcoding.

The real key is whether you want a quiet case per se, or a sound dampening case to mask noisy components ( like the P280)

• Like 1

Lian-Li in the enclosure World is what Audi are in the Car World. But then again some misguided people think Mercedes or even BMW make decent cars (automobiles).

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas.  I took a hard look at the Define XL, but ended up ordering a P280 when I read the specs properly and saw that it's 6x3.5" AND 2x2.5".  Eight 3.5/2.5 would be nice, but this meets my needs.

Glad you found one. In the Define XL, I currently fill all 8 x 3.5 bays with 3 TB WD Red HDDs in a large RAID 6 array.