RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Memory

diegolrz

Hi, I just got 2x TS140 Xeon E3 bought via the CDW deal.

I am looking for memory for them and I found this one via newegg (they have a $15 off promotion until July 21), could someone please confirm if that one works? I would be buying 32gb for each server it will be about $300 per server.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-770&nm_mc=EMCPB-072014&cm_mmc=EMCPB-072014-_-PB-_-Item-_-20-148-770&et_cid=9546&et_rid=7858814

Also, if anyone has tried another cheaper ECC memory I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Edited by diegolrz

Nope, not really. Was looking for cheap ECC ram earlier this week, and that's what I found, as well.

• 2 months later...

Interesting question. My first thought would be that it wouldn't be a good idea to mix them, but I could be wrong. Look forward to reading the responses.

• 4 weeks later...

it depends as usual.  1.35V RAM can usually run at 1.5V no problems, just check it's spec.  The system will run all RAM with the lowest common supported voltage.  If you have a single 1.5V only DIMM it will run it all at 1.5V.

From a spec perspective, LPDDR3 I/O is compatible with regular DDR3 I/O voltages but it wasn't clear what voltage the motherboard would apply to the memory power rail when it read SPDs that were a combination of 1.5V and 1.35V.

While the manual does say to not mix voltages, there is at least anecdotal evidence online that people have successfully mixed memory DIMMs. None has measured the voltage at the DIMMs though.

I'm going to buy a DIMM of a different voltage on Ebay in the name of science and try it out myself  :)

Generally on Intel chipsets mixed voltage memory will all run at the higher voltage.

I see lots of post on mixing memory and having it work, its just not recommended.