RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

64gb ssd - use it for WS 2012?

ultra99

I currently have WS 2012 R2 + Essentials installed on the default 250gb hdd. I have a 64gb Crucial ssd laying around, should I use it for the OS? Will it be enough for only the OS?

While you could with some "workarounds", I would advise against it.  The OS needs room to breathe and 60 gigs will get uncomfortably full very quickly.

While you could with some "workarounds", I would advise against it.  The OS needs room to breathe and 60 gigs will get uncomfortably full very quickly.

I am not agree.

SSD with 64GB for Windows Server 2012 R2 is enough.

I am not agree.

SSD with 64GB for Windows Server 2012 R2 is enough.

All depends on what you are using it for.

Minimum is 32GB, but that is Server Core mode with only Web Services role running.  I loaded Windows 2012 R2 Server Essentials on a 60GB SSD and it was nearly full by the time I got Plex and a handful of other apps running. If this is for production use, I would use 128GB as a minimum.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303418.aspx

the online manual stats that 30GB is the BARE MINIMUM to install. 

However, remember that it will want to store temp files, the page file, and hibernation file on the drive.

I have a 128GB SSD, and I've only got about 30GBs free on it. While I do have a number of things installed to it....

And .... Plex.... that can take up a LOT of space, even when they hardlink half the metadata....

Also, if you want to use the network Client Restore option, that's 4GB for the Windows ADK, and then ~1GB for the two versions of the Client Restore disk.  It adds up quickly. 

If you do go the 60GB system SSD route, I would recommend having a second HDD for placing, well everything else on, including the page file.

I would not use a 64GB SSD.

I have seen Windows Server accumulate patches and security updates that would keep this very tight.  I would be uncomfortable using less than a 128GB SSD, and personally, would prefer a 160GB minimum.  This accomplishes several things:

1.  SSDs need some free space for best operating efficiency.

2.  Space for Windows Updates, and the few minor apps I put on every Windows server (Adobe Reader, 7-Zip, Word/Excel viewers so I can view MS documentation, and some networking tools)

3.  Space for log files normally stored on the C: drive.  These get larger over time, and you want space for some logging time in the event of an error or alert.

4.  If you intend to leave the page file on the C: drive (you could put it on another drive and turn it off on C:), you should also have appropriate space.  I set up a fixed page file size (avoids fragmentation); Microsoft's original suggestion was 1.5 times the amount of physical RAM in the machine.

The initial install will do fine on 64GB.  Think about where you're going to be down the road though, not where you are now.

Edited by LoneWolf

I have S2012R2 installed on a Corsair 60GB but it is a very bare bones installation that I swap in/out of my N40L for when I want to test something quickly

For a production setup, that I would leave running for some time, I would use a 240 or 256GB SSD to give me room for extra apps etc. -- IMHO YMMV

S2012R2-Essentials will test your os drive to make sure it's over 90GB -- there are work arounds but for a production setting I certainly wouldn't do it -- I'd go with a larger SSD for Essentials.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget about SSD over-provisioning (a safeguard for future issues of read/write IO sectors)...  so a baseline for it is about 10%.

With that said, I have a 60GB partition with Windows Server 2012 (non-core, full UI) running on it which includes:

SQL 2012 Server (Full server)

IIS Server

Team Foundation Server (2013)

DNS

DHCP Services

Active Directory

It also contains the swap/cache (I don't have anything to move it off to) which is ~4GB (system as 4GB RAM).

All this, runs fine.. and I have plenty of extra storage space available on it for other services if needed.... which for me, I don't need.  It works great.

Now, "if" I could put it on a SSD.. I would in a heart beat... but I would definitely make sure ALL swap/cache/%temp% storage references were moved off that SSD onto something else just due to the fact that they will wear down the MTBF for the SSD.

Edited by tswalker

• 3 months later...

I know this has been a while, I really haven't done anyting with my server from last time I checked this thread. Anyway, I'm back now. I see, after finised with all the updates, I'm using 29gb. So you think the 64gb ssd would still be an option?

I only use the server to backup my files.

Maybe in the future I'd want to stream movies off of it.... ?

You might get away with it. Like LoneWolf, I worry a bit about updates & patches. I think you would have to monitor the install files for them, and clean them out fairly regularly, just to be safe.